• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Has the virus gotten WORSE for anyone instead of better?

I’ve been trying to find new articles on hsv and it seems like everything is from at least a few years ago or more and reiterates the SAME things that I feel like aren’t even true.  Does this virus actually mutate/change causing outbreaks to become more frequent and change how the outbreak presents itself? Does this make the virus less affected by antivirals? I’m at my wits end after having genital hsv for 10 years now. My outbreaks have gotten completely unbearable in the past year and a half even while on antivirals. Everything I read says this is supposed to get better. Is anyone’s symptoms getting worse? I wish more doctors would do more research on this and try to find a better medication for us. The mental and physical suffering is becoming too much. 

I’m having crazy bad outbreaks lately that coincide with my period and last for weeks Antivirals (even 2g daily of Valtrex)do absolutely nothing to help. I’m having a hard time lately and going through some personal issues so I’m chalking it up to stress. Plus my diet is crap so I’m hoping in the next few weeks everything calms down and I’m going to really make an effort to eat well and try to exercise. Not sure if there’s any truth to the diet piece but figure it can’t hurt. 

Hi @ash128083

So sorry to hear you're hurting! Sounds like it's an aggravating and confusing time for you.  

Have you had any lifestyle, diet, career, etc. changes in your life lately that might have triggered more outbreaks? Like @hazeleyes44 said, a lot of what tends to cause these types of scenarios is stress and our bodies enduring more stress. And for women, outbreaks can definitely coincide with periods. And coincidentally, a vicious cycle can be created in these cases where outbreaks happen, which stress us out and layers on more worry, which causes more mental anguish and suffering, which creates more of an environment for herpes to flourish. To answer your other question, the herpes virus doesn't mutate over time, but instead our immune system can fluctuate, which can be impacted by a whole host of things. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

23 hours ago, mr_hopp said:

Hi @ash128083

So sorry to hear you're hurting! Sounds like it's an aggravating and confusing time for you.  

Have you had any lifestyle, diet, career, etc. changes in your life lately that might have triggered more outbreaks? Like @hazeleyes44 said, a lot of what tends to cause these types of scenarios is stress and our bodies enduring more stress. And for women, outbreaks can definitely coincide with periods. And coincidentally, a vicious cycle can be created in these cases where outbreaks happen, which stress us out and layers on more worry, which causes more mental anguish and suffering, which creates more of an environment for herpes to flourish. To answer your other question, the herpes virus doesn't mutate over time, but instead our immune system can fluctuate, which can be impacted by a whole host of things. 

@mr_hopp I cannot think of any added stress in my life that can be contributing to the increase in outbreaks which is why is is becoming so frustrating for me and also the fact that the outbreaks are not a typical outbreak anymore. When I was diagnosed 10 years ago I would get a typical sore that would eventually heal. This would happen every few months which is why I started suppressive therapy. I had no outbreaks for about 8 years. In the course of those 8 years I became pregnant twice, one child I lost and the 2nd one is perfectly healthy, got married, and had other very stressful events and still was outbreak free. In February 2018 I started antidepressants to see if they would help deal with the loss of my infant son, a very small dose, and all of a sudden I had a horrible outbreak, both internal and external, that was so bad I couldn’t walk. I immediately stopped the antidepressants and every month after that the same thing would happen despite being on acyclovir. Finally after a year of suffering my doctor put me in 1g of valacyclovir and that was great for 6 months. I definitely see a difference in different manufacturers of the medication but I’m not sure why all of a sudden this is happening. I exercise regularly and eat healthier than I ever have. I take vitamins and lysine but I can’t seem to get this under control. I’m 34 and don’t think I’m premenopausal (I read that can have an effect). My husband and I want to have another child eventually but idk how that is going to happen when I feel like I have constant symptoms (he does not have the virus). I’m becoming extremely depressed and at my wits end.