• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

G HSV 1

Hi i am 22 years old and i have had genital hsv 1 for 2 and a half years. I have only had my initial outbreak and no outbreaks since. I really like this guy and I want to have sex with him but I am scared I am going to transmit it to him. I have tried taking daily suppressants and they give me absolutely awful migraines and I can't take the migraines. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or who has genital type 1! 

thank you!

10 hours ago, Bellapink said:

Hi i am 22 years old and i have had genital hsv 1 for 2 and a half years. I have only had my initial outbreak and no outbreaks since. I really like this guy and I want to have sex with him but I am scared I am going to transmit it to him. I have tried taking daily suppressants and they give me absolutely awful migraines and I can't take the migraines. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or who has genital type 1! 

thank you!

I have Ghsv1, I’m having sex with my partner without protection he knows the risk and is completely ok with it. However we are taking steps to keep him from getting it as well. We don’t have sex if I have an outbreak or having symptoms. I do take Antivirals when I feel outbreak, but I hate them as well they make me feel horrible. 

You could ask your pharmacy to try a different generic antiviral to see if there is a version that doesn't cause migraines, but the first step is to arm yourself with the facts about the low transmission rates and have a talk with this guy. I also have GHSV-1 and when I got the Western Blot tests confirming it the news was delivered with a "Good news, it's 1!" The reason it's good news is that if you are going to have the HSV-1 virus, the genitals is the best place to have it because it's the least likely to transmit. Even less likely that having HSV-1 orally in the form of cold sores. The most significant chance you have of transmitting to a lover comes from him performing oral sex on you, so you may want to leave that off the table until you both know how you feel about the situation.

I think the best way to talk about this version of HSV-1 is to start early with discussions if you feel yourself moving toward intimacy. Begin by talking about normal STI testing, how often you do it, ask him about how often he does it. Keep it light. Then maybe ask him if he's ever had a cold sore, see what he says about that (maybe he hasn't but he had a girlfriend once who did, or a sibling or parent who regularly deals with that.) That's your segue to talking about HSV-1 and the low-risk of the genital version).

Here's what I would say to someone about this: I have this virus, but I carry it in a location that has incredibly statistically low chances of transmitting (and you can look up the statistics, Terri Warren's herpes handbook download or her herpes forums are a good place to get the details). More people have this virus without being aware they carry it, so they don't even know they can transmit it--even people who regularly get cold sores don't know they can transmit it (and at this point he might say, "hmm, now that I think of it, I had a cold sore last year" at which point you can give him a big kiss and say "hooray, you don't need to worry about getting it from me, you already have it!!"). Being with someone who knows they have it and can be alert for symptoms is going to be much safer than being with someone who isn't aware. If we get intimate, I will do everything in my power to protect you from the small risk. If you want more information we can look at it together . . . 

Good luck!

9 hours ago, makepeacewithit said:

You could ask your pharmacy to try a different generic antiviral to see if there is a version that doesn't cause migraines, but the first step is to arm yourself with the facts about the low transmission rates and have a talk with this guy. I also have GHSV-1 and when I got the Western Blot tests confirming it the news was delivered with a "Good news, it's 1!" The reason it's good news is that if you are going to have the HSV-1 virus, the genitals is the best place to have it because it's the least likely to transmit. Even less likely that having HSV-1 orally in the form of cold sores. The most significant chance you have of transmitting to a lover comes from him performing oral sex on you, so you may want to leave that off the table until you both know how you feel about the situation.

I think the best way to talk about this version of HSV-1 is to start early with discussions if you feel yourself moving toward intimacy. Begin by talking about normal STI testing, how often you do it, ask him about how often he does it. Keep it light. Then maybe ask him if he's ever had a cold sore, see what he says about that (maybe he hasn't but he had a girlfriend once who did, or a sibling or parent who regularly deals with that.) That's your segue to talking about HSV-1 and the low-risk of the genital version).

Here's what I would say to someone about this: I have this virus, but I carry it in a location that has incredibly statistically low chances of transmitting (and you can look up the statistics, Terri Warren's herpes handbook download or her herpes forums are a good place to get the details). More people have this virus without being aware they carry it, so they don't even know they can transmit it--even people who regularly get cold sores don't know they can transmit it (and at this point he might say, "hmm, now that I think of it, I had a cold sore last year" at which point you can give him a big kiss and say "hooray, you don't need to worry about getting it from me, you already have it!!"). Being with someone who knows they have it and can be alert for symptoms is going to be much safer than being with someone who isn't aware. If we get intimate, I will do everything in my power to protect you from the small risk. If you want more information we can look at it together . . . 

Good luck!

thank you so much! I appreciate it!!