• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Numbers from a blood test if you're negative?

An index value of less than 1.1 is negative and yes, any testing facility will give you the numbers whether you're negative or positive. Here are a few helpful articles on this:

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to Numbers from a blood test if you're negative?
1 hour ago, mr_hopp said:

An index value of less than 1.1 is negative and yes, any testing facility will give you the numbers whether you're negative or positive. Here are a few helpful articles on this:

Thank you for sharing that information Mr hopp It means alot. Would you say a negative igg at around 9 months is conclusive? Ive had a long history of hsv1 orally. Have you ever seen people take longer than 9 months to show positive for hsv2 from the same exposure 

My pleasure! They say to wait at least 3 months before getting a blood test to allow time for the antibodies to build up to detectable levels, so 9 months is plenty to get a conclusive result. But to get a clearer result, get the Western Blot. The IgG can give a lot of false negatives and positives. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

46 minutes ago, mr_hopp said:

My pleasure! They say to wait at least 3 months before getting a blood test to allow time for the antibodies to build up to detectable levels, so 9 months is plenty to get a conclusive result. But to be absolutely certain, get the Western Blot. The IgG can give a lot of false negatives and positives. 

Thank you very much. I've actually gotten the western blot at 34 weeks post. I was thrown off when I read somewhere the igG is first to become positive before the wb..

Thanks again for everything you do here. It's a god send. 

Hello. Thank you for this info Mr Hopp but I am not sure if you understand my question because for example LabCorp if you are negative gives you only the information that you are negative without a number it just says that your score is under 0.9 without giving you number. I read on westoverheights that it’s worth it to get WB if you are “high negative” like your score is 0.7 that’s why I am asking if Quest gives you number when you are negative. 

Mrs Warren says that according to studies IGG hsv2 is 92% sensitive compare to WB which is 99% sensitive but IGG hsv1 is only 70% sensitive and even WB is 96% sensitive for Hsv1. So basically non blood test will give you 100%

• Like 1

Don't want scare or suggest theories. Just my story. I had the "luck" of taking multiple tests witnessing to the full ascending discending arc of IGG and IGM. In my first test (about one month after the first evidence of hsv2 on my penis) my HSV2 IGG was still 0.50, while IGM was already positive (not very high, 1.3). HSV1 IGG and IGM were both negative around 0.50.

I tend to belive that a TRUE negative is around 0.50/0.60.

When my IGG built up (and IGM went down) it never exceeded  1 or 1.1 staying in the "equivocal" area; but when I went to the hospital instead of private clinic for testing the result was sadly Positive (without numeric value). I repeated the test twice at the hospital and three times at private clinics.

5 hours ago, MarsAttack said:

Don't want scare or suggest theories. Just my story. I had the "luck" of taking multiple tests witnessing to the full ascending discending arc of IGG and IGM. In my first test (about one month after the first evidence of hsv2 on my penis) my HSV2 IGG was still 0.50, while IGM was already positive (not very high, 1.3). HSV1 IGG and IGM were both negative around 0.50.

I tend to belive that a TRUE negative is around 0.50/0.60.

When my IGG built up (and IGM went down) it never exceeded  1 or 1.1 staying in the "equivocal" area; but when I went to the hospital instead of private clinic for testing the result was sadly Positive (without numeric value). I repeated the test twice at the hospital and three times at private clinics.

About how long did it take for that low positive, and or equivical result on the igg. if you don't me asking. Also are you saying private testing isn't that accurate and should use hospital testing. 

No no am not saying that private clinic are not accurate. Doctors said "it's how they calibrate the test", probably I am/was very on the edge between equivocal and positive. Also I am not in the US but in EU.

The suggested time you should wait for a reliable test from the first noticeable outbreak (or after suspect sexual intercourse) is about three months.

When I took the one at the hospital that gave me the Positive result it was five months after infection circa (the ones took earlier at different clinics just showed values around 0.9/1.1).

2 hours ago, MarsAttack said:

No no am not saying that private clinic are not accurate. Doctors said "it's how they calibrate the test", probably I am/was very on the edge between equivocal and positive. Also I am not in the US but in EU.

The suggested time you should wait for a reliable test from the first noticeable outbreak (or after suspect sexual intercourse) is about three months.

When I took the one at the hospital that gave me the Positive result it was five months after infection circa (the ones took earlier at different clinics just showed values around 0.9/1.1).

Ok thanks for the reply.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Vibes90 said:

Still my question is does Quest lab give you numbers when you are negative? Or maybe anybody has experience with anylabtest? Because for example Labcorp lab just give you informstion that your number is <0.9 without giving any numbers...

I tried finding the same thing and unfortunately quest and lab core doesn't give the neg values. Anylabtest uses quest. That's where I went to do the westernblot. 

One thing to consider if it's taking a long time to get a positive reading on blood tests . . . if you'd had an outbreak doctors will often give you antiviral medicine like Valtrex to deal with the symptoms. Being on antivirals delays the initial seroconversion process even if you have outbreaks, so you have the infection but blood tests like IGG and WB take longer to detect it (or won't show it if you are on a daily suppressive dose).

Just thought I'd mention this, in case anyone is awaiting blood tests while also taking antivirals.

18 hours ago, makepeacewithit said:

One thing to consider if it's taking a long time to get a positive reading on blood tests . . . if you'd had an outbreak doctors will often give you antiviral medicine like Valtrex to deal with the symptoms. Being on antivirals delays the initial seroconversion process even if you have outbreaks, so you have the infection but blood tests like IGG and WB take longer to detect it (or won't show it if you are on a daily suppressive dose).

Just thought I'd mention this, in case anyone is awaiting blood tests while also taking antivirals.

I haven't taking a.v ever so that's reassuring. I'm questioning it because I've read of numerous people taking 1 year to get a pos result on bloodtests.