• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Probiotics and HSV (Women)

This one is for the ladies. To make a long story short: after a horrible year of outbreaks (had genital hsv for about 10yes and was on acyclovir with NO outbreaks for 8 years then all of a sudden BAM, horrible monthly internal outbreaks) I switched my meds to 1g of valacyclovir. While it did seem to help I’ve felt that the prodrome symptoms are almost constant. A few months ago I started taking Culturelle Women’s Healthy Balance Probiotics which also promotes vaginal health. I swear the months where I religiously take these I feel so much better down below. Idk if it’s all in my head or not but I would suggest any women with genital hsv to add these to your regimen and see if it helps. Anyone have insight on this? 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve just ordered lysine 1000mg. I haven’t had an outbreak in a year and I don’t take any meds or vitamins but this OB is almost as bad as my first! Will the lysine help? I’ve also bought Melissa extract and propolis vitamins...has anyone heard anything good about these? I’m also using coconut oil to ease the pain of the sores. 

@ash128083 I had tonsillitis last week and I think this maybe triggered the OB. I’ve had H for 2 years and haven’t had an OB in a long time so I almost forget I have it. So I’m still learning I guess and feel quite clueless still. I’m hoping after this OB I won’t get one again for a while but this is like the first OB. It’s totally drained me. Constant discomfort...I don’t know what I’d do.

• 3 weeks later...

I am really happy to see this discussion, I've only recently discovered the important role vaginal flora plays, and I now believe recent a ghsv-1 outbreak, UTIs, and overall discomfort issues could be linked to antibotics I had to take for other issues in the last year. As I'm older and going through menopause I also have to be very concerned about maintaining proper vaginal pH, and I'm hopeful that restoring flora and finding pH balance will help me avoid future H outbreaks!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've been taking the vh essentials for almost 2 months and stopped taking the Valtrex. I have had way less outbreaks and I haven't been eating the best lately so I am surprised.  I think the probiotic  is really helping. And it's super cheap on amazon 

I’ve been taking Culturelle Women’s Healthy Balance since the OP posted it and I don’t know if it’s a coincidence, but I’ve only had one real outbreak due to stress (my little dog/family member is missing). The irritation I experienced often has really calmed down and is barely existent, and my outbreaks I got 7/10 after sex have now decreased to  2/10. I’m not on Valtrex either. I don’t want to jinx it but I think probiotics are so helpful!

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...