• Need support? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum, a supportive and positive group of people to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have ... 

DAO21

Herpes is ruining my life

I am a 21 year old Male from London, to the outside world everything is going great, im relatively athletic and attend a great medical school,  which makes the sting of having herpes all the more bitter, I was supposed to know better. 

My first outbreak was in May of this year, it was very severe and took months to clear entirely. I am currently experiencing my second outbreak which is much less severe but still consists of 5 burst blisters which show no signs of healing.

Prior to contracting herpes I always struggled with depression and low mood, however in the last few months things have taken a turn for the worse and i will admit I never go a day without contemplating suicide. I have not told anybody about this, and have not visited a doctor as I cannot bring myself to do it. The idea of disclosing to a partner terrifies me, not because they would know, but because if it spread around my university it is not something I could deal with.

As i write this I will admit I am unsure what I hope to gain, I guess it would be nice to just not feel so alone. Would be nice to find someone in a similar position to me to chat too as well.

Please, go to a doctor. It will help with your outbreaks, I’m on Valtrex with outbreaks. It helps. I’m 41, I work for the State of Alaska and am well known in my small town. I can relate with being afraid of people finding out. I have my second outbreak right now, first was in November. I feel pretty down about this, though my sister and best friend also have it, it doesn’t take away from me processing it. I disclosed to my boyfriend with my first outbreak and he was completely supportive. I’m here to hopefully feel less alone. Be honest with partners, they will respect you for that.