• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

So, are there different strains of HSV2 out there?

I have had ASYMPTOMATIC HSV2 for years.  My girlfriend of recent months has revealed that she is also HSV2 positive but she DOES get the outbreaks. If we were to have unprotected sex, could I now contract a different strain? Or is it just ONE strain of HSV2, and our bodies just react to it differently? I don't want to reject her, but I also don't want to become symptomatic... Unsure how to handle this delicate issue.  Thank you. 

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one strain of HSV-2. There is an HSV-1, which differentiates it from the strain HSV-2 so it would stand to reason (in my mind) that iff there were additional strains, they would probably be labeled HSV-3, HSV-4, etc. 

I have tested positive for HSV-2 and am also asymptomatic. I would have no worries about suddenly becoming symptomatic by being with someone else who is also HSV-2 positive.

Hello. HSV2 is HSV2 as far as I've read. It is my understanding that once your body has it, you can’t get it again. I do not believe her personal experience with the virus will alter yours. I would still avoid sex during an outbreak. Some women tend to have outbreaks during their period due to all of the hormonal changes so I would try not to hold that against her. I mean that in the most sensitive of ways. I know that wasn’t your intention. I would personally feel safe being intimate with someone who also has hsv2. You could get hsv1 if you don’t already have it. So I would be certain that she was tested appropriately. Much love