Jump to content
  • Need support? Join the H Opp community for free.

    Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Western Blot Results vs IGG ELISA Confusion


Recommended Posts

I took the IGG test for HSV1 and 2 2 weeks after I believed I was exposed to HSV1. The results came back negative for HSV2 but positive for HSV1 with an index value of 3.87. Not wanting to believe the results I took the Western Blot 6 weeks later. The results for HSV1  and 2 came back negative. 
 

My doctor insisted that the infection had to be old since it showed up so quickly on the IGG but if it was already an established infection why didn’t it show up on the Western Blot? It’s been 6 months now and I have not experienced an type of outbreak. Should I assume that I don’t have herpes or should I take the Western Blot again since I didn’t wait 3-6 months to take it the first time?

Link to post

Hi @Needhelp19! IgG is notorious for giving both false positives and negatives, so it’s not a definitive test by any means. (Which is unfortunate since that’s the most common test out there! Go figure.) 🤦‍♂️ 

And yes, you’re on it — in order to get an accurate Western blot even, you would need to wait for antibodies to build up to detectable levels, which is that 12 to 16 week timeframe. 

Link to post

I'd say your result with IgG was a false pos. If it was an established infection the western blot would of picked it up. Or you may have the protein that trips  the  igG testing. 

Link to post
On 1/4/2020 at 2:56 PM, Tone12 said:

I'd say your result with IgG was a false pos. If it was an established infection the western blot would of picked it up. Or you may have the protein that trips  the  igG testing. 

What is this protein?  Does it trip the testing in to a false negative or false positive?

Link to post
On 1/8/2020 at 8:10 PM, TreeHugger44 said:

What is this protein?  Does it trip the testing in to a false negative or false positive?

According to Terri Warren some people carry this protein to trip the test into a low number false positive. Not negative. 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

How have you been? I was reading your other posts and I strongly relate! I think I may have gotten hsv1, I kissed a guy last April and my lip has tingled every day ever since. It’s been like 10 months and I’m still waiting for a cold sore to pop up and get me out of denial but it hasn’t happened so Ive lived life normally since... I don’t want to make myself depressed by getting a positive result. 
 

however my friend who I know has genital herpes as of November has been spending a lot of time with me this month and I think I should get checked for real. I don’t have sex with her, I’m just paranoid that everyone has given me herpes and I’m susceptible to something since I have tingling sensations on my lip. 
 

my vagina is fine. It doesn’t hurt But I get chronic vaginitis, which is like a yeast infection. 
 

So my question I guess is, does your lip still tingle and are u currently living as if your results are negative? 

Link to post

Hi,

I've been good. So far I haven't experienced a cold sore since I took the Western Blot. I have occasionally experienced a tingling sensation but no pain. I am still uncertain about my results so I plan on taking the Western Blot again just to be sure. The test and the symptoms consumed my thoughts for such a long time that it wore me out. I haven't even kissed anyone since last year but I'm slowly feeling more at ease about the results possibly being positive. 

Some of the tingling can be a result of other things but if you really want to be sure (it is a rabbit hole that some people don't want to go down and you have a beg a doctor to give you the test if you have not experienced a cold sore) take the IGG test to see what the results are. If you receive a low positive and still don't receive a cold sore, either take the test again after 6 weeks or take the Western Blot. Some people will think you are being extra paranoid, but it is your health and you have every right to do what gives you peace of mind. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Needhelp19 said:

Hi,

I've been good. So far I haven't experienced a cold sore since I took the Western Blot. I have occasionally experienced a tingling sensation but no pain. I am still uncertain about my results so I plan on taking the Western Blot again just to be sure. The test and the symptoms consumed my thoughts for such a long time that it wore me out. I haven't even kissed anyone since last year but I'm slowly feeling more at ease about the results possibly being positive. 

Some of the tingling can be a result of other things but if you really want to be sure (it is a rabbit hole that some people don't want to go down and you have a beg a doctor to give you the test if you have not experienced a cold sore) take the IGG test to see what the results are. If you receive a low positive and still don't receive a cold sore, either take the test again after 6 weeks or take the Western Blot. Some people will think you are being extra paranoid, but it is your health and you have every right to do what gives you peace of mind. 

Thank you for replying so quickly!! I really appreciate it! I completely agree with everything you say, last year when the tingling first showed up I called planned parenthood because I wanted to be tested and they said they wouldn’t do bloodwork unless I have an active outbreak so I cancelled that appointment. Then in the summer I had my physical in June 2019 and I had an std blood test done, I was told everything was negative but I’m not sure if that tests for herpes or just hepatitis, hiv, etc. 

 

anyway, after that I had some peace of mind bc bloodwork, right? But I still don’t know my status 100% and now, since my friend was actually diagnosed 3 months ago & I still see her all the time it makes me nervous I might’ve been exposed again! Ughh you’re right it’s rabbit hole and it seems like doctors would rather us be ignorant if there’s no sores. Idk I want a test but I’m so scared of how I’ll react if it’s actually positive... and it might be. 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...
On 2/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, Missmissy said:

Thank you for replying so quickly!! I really appreciate it! I completely agree with everything you say, last year when the tingling first showed up I called planned parenthood because I wanted to be tested and they said they wouldn’t do bloodwork unless I have an active outbreak so I cancelled that appointment. Then in the summer I had my physical in June 2019 and I had an std blood test done, I was told everything was negative but I’m not sure if that tests for herpes or just hepatitis, hiv, etc. 

 

anyway, after that I had some peace of mind bc bloodwork, right? But I still don’t know my status 100% and now, since my friend was actually diagnosed 3 months ago & I still see her all the time it makes me nervous I might’ve been exposed again! Ughh you’re right it’s rabbit hole and it seems like doctors would rather us be ignorant if there’s no sores. Idk I want a test but I’m so scared of how I’ll react if it’s actually positive... and it might be. 

Why are u thinking of ur friend like this? Does she know you think she’s a contagious walking thing? 

Link to post
On 3/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, Alexus said:

Why are u thinking of ur friend like this? Does she know you think she’s a contagious walking thing? 

I don’t think she’s a contagious walking thing. At the time, I didn’t know my status and wasn’t sure if I could get it from her which is reasonable concern. Wouldn’t you agree most ppl who don’t have herpes try to avoid getting it...? 
 

and I wasn’t scared about testing positive because of her. I was scared of testing positive because of what happened last year. It brought back old concerns but alright, go off

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

Well how would you get it from her if you aren’t sexual active with her? Which is implying you think she’s a walking contagion. And yes ppl who avoid trying to get herpes don’t avoid touching ppl who do have it because news flash they’re not walking contagions. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...