• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Please help me - newly diagnosed.

Finally somewhere I can hopefully find answers?

Im 28yo and I am a chronic coldsore (mouth) sufferer  

About 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with HSV1 and my world has crashed ever since.

I originally thought it was a spot or sore due to working out a lot, suddenly I had swollen lymph noids, a fever and intense pain. I went to a OOH clinic (im in the uk) and because I had a Ingrown hair i was put on antibiotics and thought nothing of it. 

A few days later I went to my GP as my whole area down below was red raw and so so sore. She thought it was dermatitis but swabbed anyway - I get a phone call on a Friday telling me I had genital herpes but not to worry as it is literally only a coldsore and to use Zovirax cream on it. I spent the whole weekend in turmoil, using this cream which burned like hell and crying as I was going on a two week holiday in a few days. I went back to the GP on the Monday as I was such a state and was given Aciclovir (1 tablet 5 times a day) I took these on my holiday and the sore (might I add I didn’t have blisters it was literally one sore) went down but I still suffered with redness and irritation.

After my two week holiday I came home and on the evening I had sex with my partner and I found myself to be dry and had a few tears come up around the opening down there, I also had massive cold sores appear on both my cheeks of my face. the cuts below seemed to be inflamed so I went back to the GP who wasn’t sure? If they were ulcerous or not so prescribed another course of 1 tablet for 5 days. 

fast forward to today and I have finished my course of tablets, I have 0 sores but my whole area is red and intensely itchy. I have been using Vagisil to help the itching and irritation as my doctor suggested but it doesn’t always help. 

Is this itching after common?

Do I just need to give myself time to completely get over this outbreak?

I am terrified if I have sex again the cuts will form and I will have an OB.

Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks xx

19 hours ago, SAS1991 said:

About 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with HSV1 and my world has crashed ever since.

I originally thought it was a spot or sore due to working out a lot, suddenly I had swollen lymph noids, a fever and intense pain. I went to a OOH clinic (im in the uk) and because I had a Ingrown hair i was put on antibiotics and thought nothing of it. 

A few days later I went to my GP as my whole area down below was red raw and so so sore. She thought it was dermatitis but swabbed anyway - I get a phone call on a Friday telling me I had genital herpes but not to worry as it is literally only a coldsore and to use Zovirax cream on it. I spent the whole weekend in turmoil, using this cream which burned like hell and crying as I was going on a two week holiday in a few days. I went back to the GP on the Monday as I was such a state and was given Aciclovir (1 tablet 5 times a day) I took these on my holiday and the sore (might I add I didn’t have blisters it was literally one sore) went down but I still suffered with redness and irritation.

After my two week holiday I came home and on the evening I had sex with my partner and I found myself to be dry and had a few tears come up around the opening down there, I also had massive cold sores appear on both my cheeks of my face. the cuts below seemed to be inflamed so I went back to the GP who wasn’t sure? If they were ulcerous or not so prescribed another course of 1 tablet for 5 days. 

fast forward to today and I have finished my course of tablets, I have 0 sores but my whole area is red and intensely itchy. I have been using Vagisil to help the itching and irritation as my doctor suggested but it doesn’t always help. 

Thanks xx

Hi SAS1991, 

firstly, you will be ok. You need time to come to terms with your new situation, and that in itself can take a bit of time. Be kind to yourself and know that you are not alone. I’ve had HSV for nearly two years and as I write this, I’m in the middle of my second OB in two months. ( I’m under a bit of stress atm). 

I’m in the U.K. too and your initial outbreak sounds identical to mine. One sore, fever, swollen nodes in my groin, but the irritation and discomfort was much more widespread and took a good few weeks to settle completely after the OB. I too used vagisil a lot in those early days. The itching is, in my experience, very common after an OB has healed. 

it’s impossible to say how the virus will affect you as no two people react the same to it and it can and does have a mind of it’s own sometimes. Time will tell how your body handles it. It’s completely normal to be paranoid about sex causing another OB ( as was I) but a good tip is lots of lube as friction and irritation are known  to trigger outbreaks, especially in those early days. Lube,lube and lots of lube. If you get many or particularly troublesome OB’s and symptoms, you can discuss taking acyclovir as a preventative measure with your GP or SH clinic and see how you go. 

xx 

19 hours ago, SAS1991 said:

Thanks xx

Also, hot baths with salt ( table/sea) eases pain and itching. And I swear by Sudocreme straight from the fridge when I have a sore/sores. 

xx

On 3/6/2020 at 6:00 AM, greydaysandbrighternights said:

Also, hot baths with salt ( table/sea) eases pain and itching. And I swear by Sudocreme straight from the fridge when I have a sore/sores. 

xx

Firstly thanks SO much for your reply, sometimes just discussing it with someone that has had a similar issue helps so much.

My partner is so lovely and understanding but he just doesn’t understand how I’m feeling which is obviously not his fault. 

Since posting I have actually go a lot better, no redness or current irritation just little and often itching which I’m doing well to ignore at the moment but it is that time of the month also so thinking could be this!!

I think lube is going to be the way forward just so daunting to think it could come up again!! 

xx