• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Just tested positive..

I’ve never had a cold sore or a genital outbreak, I just took the test out of curiosity. I had a feeling I would test positive because 80% of people have this but I’m still really upset and don’t know what to do with this info. 

what does this mean for kissing and oral sex? I don’t wanna pass it to anyone but im asymptomatic. 

my igg results were positive for hsv1 with a value of 22.2? What does the value mean? Is it possible to know if this is a new or old infection 

Hi @Missmissy! You're pointing to one of the double-edged swords of being aware that you're a carrier. If you've never had an outbreak, then you don't know where on your body your original infection was (which gives you a sense of where your asymptomatic viral shedding is happening). I'm assuming that you tested positive for HSV-1? If so, then yes, it could either be oral or genital. Best way to handle this with integrity is to disclose in a matter-of-fact way and educate. (If there's any shame in your delivery, be sure to do that self-work necessary to get that out of the mix.) Sharing that most of the world are carriers of HSV-1 is helpful information to share: one, it helps to educate others about the ubiquity of herpes, and two, it helps to break down the stigma that this isn't just some disease that promiscuous people get. (An equal-opportunity virus!)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

1 hour ago, mr_hopp said:

Hi @Missmissy! You're pointing to one of the double-edged swords of being aware that you're a carrier. If you've never had an outbreak, then you don't know where on your body your original infection was (which gives you a sense of where your asymptomatic viral shedding is happening). I'm assuming that you tested positive for HSV-1? If so, then yes, it could either be oral or genital. Best way to handle this with integrity is to disclose in a matter-of-fact way and educate. (If there's any shame in your delivery, be sure to do that self-work necessary to get that out of the mix.) Sharing that most of the world are carriers of HSV-1 is helpful information to share: one, it helps to educate others about the ubiquity of herpes, and two, it helps to break down the stigma that this isn't just some disease that promiscuous people get. (An equal-opportunity virus!)

Yeah, i have hsv1. I don’t know if it is oral or genital but I assume it’s oral herpes cuz I’ve kissed like 3x more people than I’ve had sex with. Also, my dad had coldsores when I was younger so I could’ve gotten it from him when I was little but I’ll never know. 

My main worry is kissing my 2 year old brother or giving oral to my bf. My dr didn’t seem worried about these things but I am. I wanna avoid passing this onto others but my dr thought antivirals were unnecessary.