• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HIV and Herpes

One of my biggest concerns right now having newly been diagnosed with HSV-2 is acquiring HIV from a new partner. I've read from the CDC that herpes-positive individuals are 2-3x more likely to acquire HIV because it readily infects  the T-cells where the lesions were, healed or not, and using antivirals do not prevent HIV transmission. Besides wearing protection, communication with partners, and limiting the amount of partners I'm having sex with, how can I prevent and lessen my chances of acquiring HIV? I've read there's a stigma for herpes, but there seems to be a much bigger stigma for HIV, and this is one of the last things I'd like to acquire in life.

• 2 weeks later...

trust me when I say this is something that has crossed my mind as well. I’m not sure if you’ve heard about it because I think it’s fairly new, but there is a medication that you can take daily for the prevention of contracting hiv. the commercial refers to it being like birth control, but for hiv, being for those who may need extra protection against the virus. now that may be directed towards those of the lgbtq community as they are supposed to be more at risk but it stated “for people who do not have, but are very high risk of getting” so I’m thinking it may mean those with underlying conditions! I’m no doctor, so by ALL means, ask your doctor about it first! but the medication is called PrEP. I hope this was of some help! and if you speak with your doctor, and are comfortable with sharing, I would love to hear how it went and what options there are for us!