• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

IgG HSV 2 test, 1.35. False positive??

Hello. Brand new here.

Just did a full std panel, and came back as positive for HSV 2, with a 1.35. They said this is a low positive, and to test again in 4-6 weeks.

I know this is a very low number, but what are the odds it's a false positive?

I performed oral sex on someone, that would be the likely person, but my understanding is, it's hard to get HSV 2 from oral sex, not sure how true that is.

That said.....this same thing happened a long time ago, with a low positive, and I got a western blot test, which came back negative. It was easy back then you could just order it through Quest. 

Should I just use the IgG test again in a month or so??

Any feedback greatly appreciated

7 hours ago, HopefulHerpy said:

I would get a Western Blot; I’m in the process of doing the same. 

I have to look into it. I got one a long time ago, and it was as simple as talking to Westover Heights Clinic, and ordering it through Quest. I posted the same question to Terri Warren, to see if I can get one fairly easy, or get a second IgG, and go with that. Just not sure, or how difficult a Western Blot is in my area. Well, getting the blood drawn, and spun, and whatnot.

• 1 month later...

I’m not sure if you already have completed the process, but I too had a low positive index (2.11 for HSV-2) and Terri told me there is more than a 50-50 chance it is false.

I went through with getting the test & am now just waiting for my results. 
I’m curious to know if you did it & what your results were (if you don’t mind sharing of course) 

Hope you are well & wishing you the best! 

I’m still waiting for my results. I tested in 2014, I tested positive positive HSV1 (2.88) & HSV2 (1.26). I tested a week later and the results were equivocal (0.90). Afterwards, all of my tests have been negative <0.90.

I feel that my results will be positive because I have mild itching & leg pain when I sleep in a position for a while. This is very scary in my opinion. If I’m showing negative on a test but am actually positive, imagine how many others could possibly do the same?

It is going into third week after testing for me. I should have my results this week. I’ll definitely share. 

Hi everyone! I've had some similar questions myself. I was swabbed positive for GHSV-1 initially two years ago, then I had a negative blood test for both. I figured it was just because it was a recent infection. I went back in this past February and had another blood test, and it came back in the equivocal range for HSV-1 (I think it was like 0.9) and 5.0 for HSV-2. I'm super confused if this means my initial swab was incorrect, or if my most recent blood test is reading a false positive for HSV-2. Or, maybe I just have the worst luck ever and was dually infected! Who knows. But very confusing! I'm considering a western blot myself just to finally get an answer. 

Oh okay, I’m in my second week now & I didn’t think it would take this long! 
The anxiety is killing me!! 
I too get weird nerve tingles in my legs, but nothing has ever been painful to me.. and nerve pain does run in my family so I’m not sure if it’s herpectic or just a coincidence 

I too will update with my results! 
good luck! 

My results were negative for HSV2 and indeterminate for HSV1 

Terri said I could retest— but in her professional opinion, it’s likely that it will just come out indeterminate again, and that I should just consider it negative and move on 

My boyfriend is HSV1 positive with an index of 21.10 so she said if he hasn’t given it to me already, he probably won’t since he’s had it for so long & I probably built up immunity to it slowly