• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

It never came but, but I’m scared of transmitting...

I am a female and I had my first initial breakout 3 years ago I was 20. I was young and didn’t know much about what i got and what it was, nor was I educated enough. I had multiple partners (at the time) so I am really unsure who I would’ve gotten it from. The first break out was painful. I remember I was so confused to what it was and I went to the walk in clinic and they gave me medication. It soon left. I haven’t had a break out since then nor any symptoms and it’s been 3 years. I’m currently in a new relationship and I don’t know how to disclose this information to him or how to explain it. I did a blood test just recently and it only said signs of HSV in my blood and it wasn’t specific if it was HSV 1 or HSV 2. I heard if you only had one break out it might be HSV 1 genitalia and that is hard to pass on. Is this true? I would also like to know how I could have unprotected sex and be happy and safe. I don’t want to pass it on to my boyfriend, so I was wondering if suppressive therapy actually works in preventing transmissions? What do you think?  

It’s better to find out which type you have because that could possibly help you just a little more with disclosing. If it is HSV1 then it is recommended that he gets tested because about 80% of the population has HSV1 and most of them don’t even realize it. With that being said, if you. Have GHSV1, then you can’t transmit it to him genitally because he has already built up the antibodies for the virus. If it is HSV2, it is still recommended that he gets tested as well, because just like HSV1 a lot of people don’t know that they have it. 

Now as for antivirals. Antivirals reduce Asymptomatic shedding. Which means the virus is present without symptoms.

If you were to not use any protection and decided not to take antivirals, there is a 4% chance that you could transmit to your partner without an active outbreak. With antivirals, that number is reduced to 2%. With both a condom and antivirals, it’s reduced to 1%. And just be sure that if you feel anything weird down below to refrain from having sex during that time. Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, DoesntDefineMe said:

It’s better to find out which type you have because that could possibly help you just a little more with disclosing. If it is HSV1 then it is recommended that he gets tested because about 80% of the population has HSV1 and most of them don’t even realize it. With that being said, if you. Have GHSV1, then you can’t transmit it to him genitally because he has already built up the antibodies for the virus. If it is HSV2, it is still recommended that he gets tested as well, because just like HSV1 a lot of people don’t know that they have it. 

Now as for antivirals. Antivirals reduce Asymptomatic shedding. Which means the virus is present without symptoms.

If you were to not use any protection and decided not to take antivirals, there is a 4% chance that you could transmit to your partner without an active outbreak. With antivirals, that number is reduced to 2%. With both a condom and antivirals, it’s reduced to 1%. And just be sure that if you feel anything weird down below to refrain from having sex during that time. Hope this helps!

Hi,

I want to add a few more details to your response.

ex: If I have GHSV1 and my partner has had in the past Oral HSV1 and has antibodies this does not prevent him from getting HSV1 in his genitals.  Most people assume that this is considered a re-infection but it is not, some doctors see it as a form of virus spread, where you now spread your virus from your mouth to your genitals and it is highly contagious and highly likely if you have an active Outbreak, like girls that have GHSV1 can totally give their partner GHSV1 even if he has antibodies.

I for instance had Herpetic Whitlow for many years and one day with an active sore on my finger, I rubbed my self down there and I "spread" my herpetic whitlow to my genitals, and it didn't matter how much antibodies I had build up in a matter of four years, it was useless because it happened and I was not cautious thinking that I Couldnt pass it down there and I eneded up passing it.