• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can you have a normal sex life?

Recently been told I have contracted hsv, but because of covid19, no confirmed diagnosis.  First flair up was 6 weeks ago now, really bad and have had a minor one since around about my period!  Am now on aciclovir 400mg twice a day for the next 3 months.  

Can I still have sex and oral sex without protection if my partner is aware and has the same diagnosis as me??

The short answer? Absolutely you can have as normal (or freaky!) sex as you'd like. Herpes won't hold you back from that. The first 6 months to a year, your body is getting the virus under control. After that for the vast majority of folks, there are few outbreaks and it's pretty much handled. There's a low chance of transmitting herpes (depending on a bunch of factors — details in these free handouts), so if you keep an open dialog with your partners and take precautions, they are actually unlikely to get herpes. For example, my wife and I have been together 5+ years, she wanted to stop using condoms and I take daily suppressive acyclovir and she hasn't gotten herpes yet. There are many stories like this out there. Awareness itself (that you have herpes and your prodrome symptoms) is the first line of defense against spreading it. Since 80% of people who have herpes aren't aware of it (or are in denial), those are the most at-risk of passing it on. 

Read the e-book so you can start on the journey to turning this into a positive: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

And here's a video that might help shift your mindset around sexuality with herpes: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/keeping-your-partner-herpes-free-can-be-super-sexy

• Like 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hi, thankyou for replying.  I've been reading up alot about it as arent able to call the clinic about my concerns as it's not classed as an emergency.  I've had one flair up since my initial ob, but have noticed changes and my doc has put me on aciclovir for 3 months as I already have pernicious anaemia and so dont fight infections very well. It's the intricasies of the condition that I question alot of the time x  but thankyou for your advice x