• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I don’t date anymore

I don’t date anymore, because I’m afraid of disclosing my positive HSV2 status. I’m a 43 y/o black female, my son is 21. These should be my days of carefree living!! Lol. I feel in he black community, no one has this except for me. Afraid that if I disclose, I’d live in fear of being exposed. I want to date, but that is always the fear that stops me. The make it seem so common, but. I don’t believe that to be true. Am I the only one?

Do you know that 48% of black women have genital herpes? You have plenty of good company. It might feel like you're the only one because no one talks about it. Stigma is strong, but the facts are stronger. You'd be surprised to know how many people have it and are hiding it. Also, 80% of those who have herpes aren't aware (or in denial) that they have it.  

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I've tried to bury dating to the back of my mind as well, it is tortuous but I feel rejection and exposure is worst. Only 11% in the world have hsv-2 so I really feel alone.

On 4/29/2020 at 5:34 PM, msnewnew said:

I don’t date anymore, because I’m afraid of disclosing my positive HSV2 status. I’m a 43 y/o black female, my son is 21. These should be my days of carefree living!! Lol. I feel in he black community, no one has this except for me. Afraid that if I disclose, I’d live in fear of being exposed. I want to date, but that is always the fear that stops me. The make it seem so common, but. I don’t believe that to be true. Am I the only one?

Hey! I’m a 28 yr old black female. Convinced i got this from a black male 24 yrs older than me. Anywho, Ive had 2 partners since being diagnosed & I told them both BEFORE we got into a sexual environment & they both did their research & still slept w/ me protected of course. I’ve only ever had 1 guy reject me & 2 past guys not want to deal w/ me even though I was just telling them since the DR claim i had had it for at least a year. I figured i be responsible and tell past partners, hoping theyd confess or go get tested. So, i say this to tell you that dating is not over for any of us. Still date, and you can either tell them upfront or wait until things start moving somewhere. Forget what ppl think of you. Also, my mom has it and she didn’t tell me until I told her I was diagnosed. So, when she confessed, I thought back to childhood how she always got cold sores but would share straws and utensils with my siblings..... hope they dont have it.