• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Confused with diagnosis

Hello,

can someone please provide me with some clarity. Late February I went in for a Pap smear and I so happened to have what I thought was a razor burn so I asked for it to be swabbed; she said it wasn’t herpes but came back positive; however, it was not typed. I took acyclovir 4 days prior to going to get a blood test and came up negative for HSV2. Fast forward to now I retested and came up positive for HSV2. I never had a typical herpes outbreak with blisters and I’m wondering if the negative result was a false negative and I had it for a while or if the antivirals could have made it negative or if it is really just a new infection?

Hi there! Herpes tests can be confusing, and I'm having some confusion myself, so I understand the frustration! So I believe the general rule is that swabs are usually viewed as more reliable than blood tests. Blood tests will also show up negative if you take them too recently after your initial infection, as your body has not had time to create antibodies yet. They say you should wait about 6-12 weeks after your initial breakout or swab before getting a blood test. So, if your razor burn was actually a breakout and you did a swab test, I would look at how long after that you took your first blood test, as it may have been a false negative. If it makes you feel better, the initial diagnosis can be quite shocking and jarring, but SO MANY people would have HSV-2 show up in their blood tests if they actually had them done - it's very common! I have HSV-2, as well, and I've never had a typical breakout, only something that looks like one small paper cut or shaving cut. If I hadn't gotten tested, I would have no idea! Best of luck, I hope you get it all figured out! It might be worth getting another blood test done in a few months just to see if it comes up again! xx

• Like 2