• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpetic Whitlow??

Hi everyone, 

A few months ago (a few months after I was diagnosed) I had an itchy bump on my thumb right at the crease. I thought it was a bug bite so I kind of just scratched it and ignore it. A few days later, it burst, tiny scab and then went away. Didn't think anything of it afterwords. Then yesterday, I realized the same bump is back on my thumb at the exact same space and it had the same kind itch and it's irritating. I did some googling and it said it could be related to HSV2 and coming into contact with the party downstairs and it's called herpetic whitlow. Has anyone experienced this?? What do I do? I wear contacts and now I'm scared of taking them out so I feel like I'm going to be wearing this pair for forever. 

Help! 😞

It might be. And if it is, the good news here is that herpetic whitlow tends to not recur for most people with healthy immune systems after the body has had enough time to build up adequate antibodies (around 6 months). The reason is because herpes (especially HSV-2) prefers mucous membranes as a primary site of infection. Any thicker skin isn’t ideal for the virus to come back.

And you have the right idea: In this initial 6 month period (and especially when you’re having an active outbreak on your finger) avoid touching other parts of your body so you don’t auto-inoculate. After you have antibodies established, then auto-inoculation is rare.

If you could go into your doc (I know, in these days of covid, might not be an option) and get it swabbed, that'll give you a pretty damn sure definitive result (if the fluid can get on the swab).

There are a bunch of people on these forums over the years who have shared their stories about their own experiences with what might or might not have been whitlow. It might help to read through these and see if anything rings true in your case: https://forums.herpesopportunity.com/search/?q=whitlow&quick=1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thank you so much for your response. I'm still figuring out how to navigate the forums so the link is so super helpful! I've read thru all of the my internet searches and it all told me to wrap it up so I have bandage over it just in case and avoiding contact with the spot. 

I'm close to 8 months into my diagnosis so still kind of new and scary. 

Thank you!!