• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

GHSV-1 and unprotected sex

I found out I had GHSV-1 about 5 months ago and haven't had any symptoms since my initial outbreak. I got really drunk and and hooked up with someone without protection (we had oral and vaginal sex). It was only one night but i'm still freaking out because we have the same mutual friends. What are the chances I gave to him in one encounter? I need to put my mind at rest I've been surfing the internet all day but its just making things worse. please help    

There's a small chance overall. Definitely still best to disclose as always, but also important to know that genital-to-genital HSV-1 transmission is actually rare (especially if the other person also carries HSV-1 antibodies, which 80% of people do). Also, the asymptomatic viral shedding rate is 1/5 that of genital HSV-2. HSV-1 really prefers to hang around orally. 

I once asked Terri Warren about genital HSV-1 transmission specifically and she told me, "I actually have not personally seen genital genital transmission of HSV-1 ... Genital to genital transmission has been well documented in the professional literature. I think it’s an incredibly rare event but it does happen, particularly if it’s from a person with newly acquired infection.”

The most important piece to remember here is that getting STDs is a 2-way street. You don't know what the guy might have had since you didn't have the safer sex talk. A lot of folks who have herpes get blinded by the fact that the *other* person could have another STD and pass that along, too. 

• Like 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: