• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Is anyone else weary of dating or is it just me? I feel like I just want to stay to myself and not try. I still have to get through the self-acceptance phase first before even trying to date. Dating in general is hard but I feel like HSV 2 makes it so much harder :(. 

Hi 🙂

Yes, I have been absolutely terrified to date, to disclose, and truthfully, to start accepting myself. You are not alone, but good things will come. 

Two years after being diagnosed I went out on date with a colleague. After a few dates, I got to the point where I felt comfortable enough to disclose and his response was really kind and caring, but still I struggle with self-acceptance.
Mr. Hopp's comment on my post here really helped.

His video on self acceptance: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/herpes-and-self-acceptance and others alike have been important for me to return to when I am feeling low.

It certainly feels like a marathon, not a sprint, but I can see the power of creating space to be upset, but then also altering my mindset to become more positive. 

You are right, dating is hard in general, but herpes doesn't define you ❤️ You are awesome. 

• Like 2

You certainly aren't alone. And you never were. Group hug! 😃

• Like 2

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I too have been in the mindset of not wanting to even try to bother dating. And I’m nowhere near self acceptance either. But somehow, it’s found me anyways. Someone lovely has shown up out of the blue and I’m having a wobble about it all and struggling with the reality of my situation. But I’ve had some great advice on this forum. I’ve allowed my diagnosis to control my life for 2 years and the only way to take that control back is to be brave, strong and move forward with my life. If I don’t do it now, I fear I never will. 

• Like 1