• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Disclosing/info

Hi Everyone,

i recently have been talking to someone, we kind of stopped talking and started back up. I made it a point that i want to get to know him and eventually try to date. I have been weary of dating, especially since i will have to tell him if we get further down the road. Before I do that, i want to take the time for him to really get to know me before disclosing. If anyone has any advice, i would appreciate it. 

i also wanted to know about the risk of transmission of spreading it for someone like me, who is a little over a year i and i am pretty much asymptomatic. Only time i have a issue is when my time of the month comes or I’m a little stressed. I have never seen any physical bumps at all, i just get irritated in that area and eventually it chills out. I do not take my valtrex daily because it does not bother me like that on a daily basis so far. I am very thankful for that. I will obviously be using condoms but i guess my other question is if i ever had unprotected sex, how big is the risk? I know there is always going to be one, i just didn’t know if anyone had any insight for percentages. I know when/if i do have this conversation with him, he will ask questions. Which will be understandable and if he does say no... least i can say i tried, right?

thank you! 

Hello! The risk of transmitting herpes to a man without using condoms or suppressive therapy is 4% per year. Each layer of protection added in cuts that risk in half (so using both brings the risk down to 1%). Check out the handouts for all the facts and the e-book is an overview on having the talk from the perspective of opportunity. All can be downloaded for free here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: