• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Fever with recurrent herpes outbreaks?

Hello,

Quick background and a question: my husband had an affair last year, and we separated. I ended up dating and eventually sleeping with one guy one time, and 6 days afterwards got all the symptoms of an initial infection (high fever- 104*, full body aches, etc.), but figured I had contracted Covid up until the blisters appeared. I had the blood test done (negative for HSV-2, positive for HSV-1), and a swab (positive for HSV-2, negative for HSV-1). Long story, short I’ve had HSV-1 for years and never known, and I contracted HSV-2 from the guy I slept with while separated. My husband and I have gotten back together, and I am on daily suppression (Valtrex) meds. 

My question: I have not had another visible outbreak (of course I cannot see inside of myself, but nothing on my labia like there was before), though I have had some sporadic prodrome symptoms. Does anyone else also get a low-grade fever (99.7) and sore throat for a few days when these symptoms appear? I can’t seem to find anything conclusive online, and it has happened twice now (seems like every 6 weeks since my Dx). Or, does anyone suffer these as side effects to antivirals? Thanks for any input.

A note: I have also had two HIV tests, which have been negative, so I don’t think it’s my body reacting to that virus. 

Hi @~Minerva~! As far as I’ve seen, fever usually Just accompanies the primary outbreak as your body doesn’t recognize it and attempts to fight it off with fever. But after the body is aware of it, it begins to develop antibodies and the fever doesn’t normally show up again. What sort of prodrome symptoms are you having when you get these low-grade fevers?

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

10 hours ago, mr_hopp said:

Hi @~Minerva~! As far as I’ve seen, fever usually Just accompanies the primary outbreak as your body doesn’t recognize it and attempts to fight it off with fever. But after the body is aware of it, it begins to develop antibodies and the fever doesn’t normally show up again. What sort of prodrome symptoms are you having when you get these low-grade fevers?

Thanks for the reply. I reached out to my doctor and was told that fever/general malaise can be part of the prodrome symptoms.
I felt/feel tingling and itching, but have experienced no blisters since the initial outbreak. 

• 1 month later...

Bumping this just in case anyone else is having these symptoms like I am.

It’s not confirmed yet, but after much research, I believe I am part of the 36% of women with HSV-2 that experience Recurrent Benign Lymphocytic Meningitis. 

Is there anyone else here who has this as well? 

• 1 year later...
On 10/2/2020 at 3:53 PM, ~Minerva~ said:

Bumping this just in case anyone else is having these symptoms like I am.

It’s not confirmed yet, but after much research, I believe I am part of the 36% of women with HSV-2 that experience Recurrent Benign Lymphocytic Meningitis. 

Is there anyone else here who has this as well? 

Hi Minerva,

did you ever get diagnosed with Mollaret Meningitis? I'm currently having a whole lot of problems with HSV 2 and neurological problems, many things have been ruled out HIV, syphilis, MS etc... a neurologist I saw did mention Mollaret Meningitis but said he'd need to do a lumbar puncture to fully diagnose and as my symptoms were getting better he was reluctant to do this. Since a very nasty outbreak (not primary) in January I've been on and off daily acyclovir, when I stop taking it many of my symptoms return when I start taking it again they fade. 

• Like 1
On 8/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, J1010 said:

Hi Minerva,

did you ever get diagnosed with Mollaret Meningitis? I'm currently having a whole lot of problems with HSV 2 and neurological problems, many things have been ruled out HIV, syphilis, MS etc... a neurologist I saw did mention Mollaret Meningitis but said he'd need to do a lumbar puncture to fully diagnose and as my symptoms were getting better he was reluctant to do this. Since a very nasty outbreak (not primary) in January I've been on and off daily acyclovir, when I stop taking it many of my symptoms return when I start taking it again they fade. 

I just replied to your post before seeing this- whoops. I’d love to chat with you but prefer to do so more privately. Please message me if you want to talk. 

And yes, the only way to diagnose MM is with a lumbar puncture while you’re experiencing symptoms. 

• Like 1
  • mr_hopp changed the title to Fever with recurrent herpes outbreaks?