• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Is this an outbreak?

I haven’t had an outbreak in probably 5 years...only had 2 outbreaks since being diagnosed in 2013. Ive been on acyclovir 2-3 times a day for the better part of the last 3 years, and for sure for the past 6 months. 

During sex today, it hurt when my boyfriend entered me, but not enough to make him stop. Just felt like maybe a had a “raw” spot just inside my vagina. I haven’t had any burning, itching or pain at all before this. Not when I pee, nothing. Tonight, I took a mirror “down there” and see what definitely looks like a raw area, and I don’t believe there are any sores, it’s just very red. If there are stores, they are very tiny and I can’t see them, but again, doesn’t hurt even when I touch it. Also to note, I just got off my period and use tampons. Never had a problem before, but, thought I’d throw that in there. Before today, we haven’t had sex in 7-8 days due to my period and also just the normal time we are apart. But now I’m freaking out since we had sex and I didn’t know that spot was down there. When I had a couple outbreaks after I was first diagnosed, they were the traditional sores (just 2 or 3) and on the outside, about the same place both times. Never anything inside...

When we have sex, it can get hard and rough...and I have been getting very dry during sex. So I’m hoping it’s just a tear or rawness experienced from sex before my period. Because I do seem to feel that “raw” feeling in the same spot as where I’m seeing tonight. 

Does what I’m seeing tonight sound like an outbreak? And if so, does that mean my boyfriend probably definitely got it??

Hi @JWatkinsBy your explanation, it does sound like it is classic rawness, not an active outbreak. (And the disclaimer that it's difficult to give you anything definitive since I'm not a doctor and I'm just a guy behind a keyboard who also doesn't have a vagina.) 😄

If you've had a history of at least a few outbreaks that generally show up in the same place on the outside of your genitals, you should be fine. Herpes tends to follow the same nerve pathways with subsequent outbreaks.

• Thanks 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: