• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Cut diagnosed as herpes?

Around 4 lost 5 months ago I noticed a very tiny amount of blood (less than a papercut) on toilet paper. The bleeding continued accompanied by mild itching away from the bleeding area. 

The symptoms felt like bacterial vaginosis (I've had that before) so I asked my doctor for a script to take care of it. While taking the antibiotics the bleeding subsided and so did the itching.

A week or so after antibiotics the same spot started bleeding again. There is no open sore, scab, crust, and the spot is invisible to the naked eye. I can only find it by pressing near it to cause it to bleed.

Finally I went to my doctor as the blood changed to a whitish color. During the exam she said she could not find anything, so I pressed on it and then she saw and immediately said "Oh, that's herpes." 

I asked her if she was sure, because I've had this for 4 months and it never healed or crusted, never was a bump or blister. She said it is a flat herpe and the only way to know for sure was to take Valtrex and if it healed it I would know I had it. 

Has anyone had a similar type of outbreak? That doesn't heal for months and is invisible to the eye? Thank you.

Confused12 - NO this doctor sounds like an IDIOT. The only way to know for sure is to get the blood test.  Please get it. I got misdiagnosed by sight and spent 15 months in purgatory.  I was like what the FUCK was the point of having to go thru this hell - if it means saving just ONE more person from a lifetime of hell then I won't feel as bad for having gone thru it.  Please take the blood test and let me know the results. This does NOT sound like a herpes sore at all. The initial outbreak lasts only about 2-4 weeks. What a DUMB FUCK thing to say that the only way to know for sure is to take valtrex and if it healed you would know you have it when there is such a highly accurate blood test out there. i'm sorry i sound so mad but having been misdiagnosed myself I'm just shocked and mad at how dumb and cavalier this doctor is.  

In fact - here's something to try.  I have an area in my labia that will have what looks like cut from time to time.  When I first got it it would NOT fucking heal even after putting neosporin, or the antibiotic cream my doc gave me.  Then i tried Medicine Mama's Vmagic and the cut went away within like 2 days maybe 3 at most.  I still put it every now and then just to keep the skin there strong as it is designed to also strengthen delicate vaginal skin. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jasmine10 said:

Confused12 - NO this doctor sounds like an IDIOT. The only way to know for sure is to get the blood test.  Please get it. I got misdiagnosed by sight and spent 15 months in purgatory.  I was like what the FUCK was the point of having to go thru this hell - if it means saving just ONE more person from a lifetime of hell then I won't feel as bad for having gone thru it.  Please take the blood test and let me know the results. This does NOT sound like a herpes sore at all. The initial outbreak lasts only about 2-4 weeks. What a DUMB FUCK thing to say that the only way to know for sure is to take valtrex and if it healed you would know you have it when there is such a highly accurate blood test out there. i'm sorry i sound so mad but having been misdiagnosed myself I'm just shocked and mad at how dumb and cavalier this doctor is.  

In fact - here's something to try.  I have an area in my labia that will have what looks like cut from time to time.  When I first got it it would NOT fucking heal even after putting neosporin, or the antibiotic cream my doc gave me.  Then i tried Medicine Mama's Vmagic and the cut went away within like 2 days maybe 3 at most.  I still put it every now and then just to keep the skin there strong as it is designed to also strengthen delicate vaginal skin. 

Thank you so much for your response!!!! I've been feeling crazy the past 4 months not knowing what was wrong and fearing all sorts of different outcomes. I'm on day 4 of Valtrex right now and it seems the sore has semi healed but there is still itching and burning. I am definitely going to get the blood test soon, see a gyno and hopefully get a concrete answer one way or another. If you don't mind me asking would did your cut end up being? 

• Like 1
On 8/24/2020 at 2:18 PM, Confused12 said:

Thank you so much for your response!!!! I've been feeling crazy the past 4 months not knowing what was wrong and fearing all sorts of different outcomes. I'm on day 4 of Valtrex right now and it seems the sore has semi healed but there is still itching and burning. I am definitely going to get the blood test soon, see a gyno and hopefully get a concrete answer one way or another. If you don't mind me asking would did your cut end up being? 

Great! Please let me know! The first time i had it was after a guy was too aggressive with sex/touching me down there and that's the typical pattern I see for myself. I think it has also just happened randomly though and my gynae says the skin there is thin so some women can be more prone to cuts.

• 3 weeks later...

Your herpes symptoms sound almost identical to mine. The only "outbreaks" I've ever gotten are very tiny invisible to the untrained eye paper cut like sores. Almost always in the same two spots. Anyone looking would never be able to spot them. Did the doctor not take a swab of the cut and test that? Seems insane to prescribed medication off of an assumption. Blood tests are also known to be unreliable because it's based off of antibodies I believe, and everyone will have different levels at different times. If you still have a sore go back and ask for it to swabbed and tested. If not see if the sore heals, if it comes back again even in a minor way go back immediately and have it swabbed and tested. But your symptoms alone definitely don't rule out herpes as they sound identical to mine and I tested positive off the swab test for HSV2

• Like 1
15 hours ago, annalove said:

Your herpes symptoms sound almost identical to mine. The only "outbreaks" I've ever gotten are very tiny invisible to the untrained eye paper cut like sores. Almost always in the same two spots. Anyone looking would never be able to spot them. Did the doctor not take a swab of the cut and test that? Seems insane to prescribed medication off of an assumption. Blood tests are also known to be unreliable because it's based off of antibodies I believe, and everyone will have different levels at different times. If you still have a sore go back and ask for it to swabbed and tested. If not see if the sore heals, if it comes back again even in a minor way go back immediately and have it swabbed and tested. But your symptoms alone definitely don't rule out herpes as they sound identical to mine and I tested positive off the swab test for HSV2

Hi! Thank you for your response. Yes that sounds identical to mine. No one would be able to see the sore/cut with the naked eye and there were never any scabs, bumps, or clusters.

My doctor didn't swab it when I was there, even though she only found it when I pressed on the bottom of my labia, far away from the cut causing liquid to come out. I had asked her to swab it and she said the swab and blood tests are unreliable. 

After taking the Valtrex she prescribed, by the 4th day I had really severe headaches (literally felt like my brain was swelling) and fatigue to the point of not being able to get off the couch, and the cut had not healed at all by that time so I stopped taking them. 

I told her this on the phone and she said I would need to see a gynecologist because she can't help me any further. I asked her if she could fill out a Western blot test because they are the gold standard and only true way to be 100% sure of a hsv diagnosis. She said that also would not help me with no explanation. 

So now I have ordered the Western blot and have a planned parenthood appointment next week in hope they will fill out the order paperwork. 

The cut I have has been there now for 6 months and has only mildly healed twice. Once during a prescription of metronidazole back in June when I thought it was bv. And the second time was this week-- it healed for 3 days while I took extra strength Tylenol each night. 

What complicates all of this further is that I had a Labiaplasty 3 months prior to these symptoms. During my healing process I had 3 of these cut like things on my labia that my surgeon said were probably due to internal stitches healing and releasing fluid, accompanied by pressure blisters from rubbing during healing. 

So part of me wonders if this is a surgical complication, although I'm not sure what would cause itching, redness, and internal dryness along with the cut that would last 24 weeks post op. I would return to my surgeon, but after the hsv2 diagnosis I'm so embarassed I don't want to have him assess it again until I get the Western blot back and know for sure if I have it or not.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:16 PM, Confused12 said:

Hi! Thank you for your response. Yes that sounds identical to mine. No one would be able to see the sore/cut with the naked eye and there were never any scabs, bumps, or clusters.

My doctor didn't swab it when I was there, even though she only found it when I pressed on the bottom of my labia, far away from the cut causing liquid to come out. I had asked her to swab it and she said the swab and blood tests are unreliable. 

After taking the Valtrex she prescribed, by the 4th day I had really severe headaches (literally felt like my brain was swelling) and fatigue to the point of not being able to get off the couch, and the cut had not healed at all by that time so I stopped taking them. 

I told her this on the phone and she said I would need to see a gynecologist because she can't help me any further. I asked her if she could fill out a Western blot test because they are the gold standard and only true way to be 100% sure of a hsv diagnosis. She said that also would not help me with no explanation. 

So now I have ordered the Western blot and have a planned parenthood appointment next week in hope they will fill out the order paperwork. 

The cut I have has been there now for 6 months and has only mildly healed twice. Once during a prescription of metronidazole back in June when I thought it was bv. And the second time was this week-- it healed for 3 days while I took extra strength Tylenol each night. 

What complicates all of this further is that I had a Labiaplasty 3 months prior to these symptoms. During my healing process I had 3 of these cut like things on my labia that my surgeon said were probably due to internal stitches healing and releasing fluid, accompanied by pressure blisters from rubbing during healing. 

So part of me wonders if this is a surgical complication, although I'm not sure what would cause itching, redness, and internal dryness along with the cut that would last 24 weeks post op. I would return to my surgeon, but after the hsv2 diagnosis I'm so embarassed I don't want to have him assess it again until I get the Western blot back and know for sure if I have it or not.

I don't know much about the western blot test, but if you have an open sore, a swab test I would think would be relatively reliable. I certainly wouldn't take any more medications for herpes unless you have a diagnosis. Going off symptoms alone with herpes is super hard because there are people like myself who literally have never had a standard outbreak. Best of luck with your upcoming appointments and kick that doctor you were seeing to the curb. Doesn't sound like they know what they're doing 

• Like 1