• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

5 months post herpetic whitlow- Herpes rash on thigh?

I am a 20yo male in college. I was diagnosed with HSV 1 primary outbreak which I acquired in mid March (now just over 5 months ago) after having unprotected sex with a girl who I also fingered. The whitlow symptoms resolved but took about 4 weeks. Never had any genital signs of outbreak and no other whitlow issues since until 5 days ago when I developed a red patch on my left mid thigh which now looks like non clustered pimple like dots which are only at the base of the hairs on my leg.  I never had any prodrome symptoms of burning, tingling or shooting pains anywhere prior to the appearance of the redness. I have had no open areas or injuries to this area of my leg and do not shave that area ever. I googled and the first thing that came up was folliculitis which I'm reading could be from the herpes virus. Anyone out there ever had anything like this? I was hoping that I was so close to the 6 months that I would have immunity and never see it pop up again. Is it possible to have HSV show up on my leg out of the blue? One other thing I'll say is that classes just started up again for fall and my stress level is high.

Hi @worried nonstop

Could be, but folliculitis from herpes is pretty rare, though. Mostly it's caused by shaving around the spot where you've had your primary outbreak, but it sounds like you haven't had an actual outbreak yet (at least not that you've noticed). Also, if it's herpes, those bumps will crust over into scabs. If not, then it's probably something else. 

If it's still active, I'd head over to your clinic to get some of the dots swabbed and cultured. Do you have a Planned Parenthood nearby? They are pros when it comes to STDs while most other general practitioners aren't up to snuff. And it's hard to give a diagnosis from behind the keyboard, so 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: