• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Does hsv2 make you have anxiety?

So I got herpes 2 last year.  I was shocked that I got it because I didn’t know that it was so common.  I feel like I developed more anxiety than usual.  I also have symptoms of Bi polar disorder but I don’t know for sure if I’m bi polar.  I do take anti psychotics and benzodiazepines though to help my depression and anxiety.  After I got herpes for 6 months I feel like I’m just overly anxious.  I used to be able to control some anxiety and I liked going out to run errands but now I am afraid to go out because I’m so nervous almost all the time.  I am now the most awkward and nervous person in the room usually.  It is making me so shy to be around people because people pick up on my anxiety easily.  I don’t know if hsv2 interacts with my brain or not to make me more anxious.  I talked to some doctors and asked them if hsv2 makes you more anxious, but they said it doesn’t.  I don’t know if it’s physical or psychological that I’m just making myself nervous because I’m so negative sometimes.  Have you all ever felt more anxious around people after getting the diagnosis?  And does it trigger anxiety physically or is it mostly psychological?  I just want to not be so anxious anymore and accept that I might have herpes for life and still live a fulfilled life.  Thanks.

Hiya, 

Anxiety is a tricky little bitch. Herpes doesn't cause anxiety but I'll bet your brain is using at against you. I have anxiety and sometimes I think something specific is causing, but when I remove that something, the anxiety remains. I believe that sometimes our minds reach for tangible causes for our mental illness and this can be true. But in the case of herpes, I don't think so. 

My husband does workplace drug testing and he told me it was staggering how many people were on medication for anxiety and depression. So I asked my doctor about it. I asked if we were over medicated and if I should be trying harder to not be on meds. She told me that there may be some over medicating in there to a small degree, but that we live in a world where we have a lot to worry about. Climate change, war, political unrest, terrorism, not to mention all the individual pressure we have to achieve and do the right things. And we also know all of this because we have all the information about it at the tips of our fingers (phones). 

Now we have a pandemic that has had world wide implications for health and economics. That's a lot to be worried about, so I would imagine there's a lot more anxiety out there. 

I'm in New Zealand, in a barely hit city, but its still touched a lot of people here. 

I guess my message is, don't let the anxiety win, but don't feel bad for having it. It doesn't make you weak to have mental illness. But it does make you strong to be able to acknowledge it. 

❤️

• Like 1
6 hours ago, My_dog_is_hungry said:

My husband does workplace drug testing and he told me it was staggering how many people were on medication for anxiety and depression. So I asked my doctor about it. I asked if we were over medicated and if I should be trying harder to not be on meds. She told me that there may be some over medicating in there to a small degree, but that we live in a world where we have a lot to worry about. Climate change, war, political unrest, terrorism, not to mention all the individual pressure we have to achieve and do the right things. And we also know all of this because we have all the information about it at the tips of our fingers (phones). 

Now we have a pandemic that has had world wide implications for health and economics. That's a lot to be worried about, so I would imagine there's a lot more anxiety out there. 

I'm in New Zealand, in a barely hit city, but its still touched a lot of people here. 

I guess my message is, don't let the anxiety win, but don't feel bad for having it. It doesn't make you weak to have mental illness. But it does make you strong to be able to acknowledge it. 

❤️

Thank you so much!  You’re amazing and a Genius 🤩

• Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...

Sun -

HSV actually DOES cause anxiety in the prodrome stage... I myself have dealt with it for years now..  That other person that replied to this saying it does not is giving you inaccurate info. There is actual info online if you search hard enough for it, but I can tell you first hand that when in the prodrome phase of an outbreak, it can in fact cause a lot of the anxiety symptoms.. Just hang in there.. it passes...

• Like 1

Thank you so much!  You’re the first person to say that to me and I have a feeling you are more right.  Do you know why it triggers anxiety?  Is it the hsv irritating nerve cells therefore impacting the brain and causing anxiety symptoms?  Could you please give me some sites that tell hsv2 causing anxiety?  And how can it be treated? And how long did it take for the anxiety to calm down or cease? Much appreciated.  Thank you!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well sure, in the past I've done all kinds of google searches ie Herpes Prodrome Anxiety, or Genital Herpes Prodrome symptoms...  You have to click around... But I think the best info you are going to get is from those that actually have it such as those you find on here... I've had this hsv2 since back in 2000 (around there) and after so many outbreaks and the feelings and sensations you get just before that outbreak occurs, you begin to see a pattern...

I know when mine come on because I'll usually wake up from a poor nights sleep and just feel "off." Then I often will notice a change in my mood, I'll get songs stuck in my head sometimes even...  Sometimes, I'll feel when it's going to be a bad outbreak, I'll get this feeling of wanting to cry or anticipate doom for no reason... I'll get sad thinking about family that I didn't spend enough time with,etc..  (typical stuff you'd think about when your mood is down/surpressed.)

I usually stay in that frame for a few days to maybe even a week or more...  constant light sleep, getting up going to the bathroom, laying back down unable to fall back asleep... All this stems from the herpes manifesting on the system...  It's not just the physical symptoms that it works on...  The thing I always look for....  The outbreak... cause I know that once that happens, it's game over for the HSV for a while and I can return to feeling normal again... And it always does after the outbreak.. 

• Like 1

what one person said on another site -

Lately I have been experiencing pain in my lower back, it is hard to get out of bed, and bend down to tie shoes. I also had flu like symptoms, diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite and insomnia. When these things kick in it usually indicates an outbreak of genital herpes is coming. Sometimes, I'll get a rapid heartbeat and constantly have to urinate. I have known about this since 13 years ago.

• Like 1

here's another comment from someone on that board explaining their HSV2 symptoms -

I cry; I cry deeply seemingly for no real reason. Whenever I cry like that I know a genital herpes outbreak is about to happen. Something from within would like to convince me to end it... but I have come to notice the internal signal and call it what it is; a herpes outbreak, but I think people could possibly be susceptible to suicide during this part of it. It is a weird mental and physical state just prior to the blister, and if one is not aware it could be detrimental. It is exhausting overcoming this aspect.

• Like 1