• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Frequency of outbreaks changing.

Have any of you noticed the frequency of outbreaks changing? 

I would have an OB about every 9 months for the first 3 years. Now this year I have had several all in a row. 

I am trying to workout out why, and am leaning towards possible dietary changes being the cause. I.e if I allow too much rubbish/processed food into my diet, maybe this is triggering an OB. 

Thinking about my diet over this last year, I have eaten a lot of oats, chocolate, and other high arginine foods. So am going to experiment with eating a high lysine diet to see the OB subside. 

I think I generally manage my stress well, but having these outbreaks has stressed me out, and then it becomes a vicious circle. 

Thanks for reading, and I hope you aren't letting this little bitch of a virus cause you too much pain. 

• Like 1

I'm experiencing this as well. I feel I manage stress well but I've been on a constant outbreak for the last month and a half. I've had this virus for 10 years and I feel like I'm back in year one. My doc is going to put me on the generic for valtrex so I'm hoping that my body will respond to that. I was able to not take anything and just take acyclovir I felt something coming on. I'm so frustrated and just want this to go back in remission. 

• 5 months later...

How are you doing now JackDaniels & everyone else that responded? Has the outbreaks subsided? I’m currently going through a crazy amount of back to back outbreaks since I gave birth to my first child. I have had HSV-2 for 6 years with barely any outbreaks at all. But since I’ve given birth 8 months ago, I’ve had 7 outbreaks back to back. I’m freaking out. 

• Like 1

Currently on month 4 of rolling outbreaks. Have had neuropathic pain and flu symptoms. Now nerve pain is all thats left but it wont go. I’ve had this 6 years too and I think this was brought on by other meds as thats the only change I can think of. I want this hell to stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me. I am 100% right there with you. It is totally affecting me emotionally and physically, and I have gotten ZERO answers. I’ve talked to several different types of specialty doctors about it too and they haven’t given me any idea why this could be happening and when it may ever stop. All I can say is, I can relate to you and you’re not alone. Are you able to go off the new meds you’re taking to see if that may be the source of these back to back outbreaks? 

• 3 weeks later...

RookieBex I did actually! I tried a week off of them and I think it made a difference but I’m sort of stuck as I have to take them (for a different awful and almost more painful condition.) Why are speciality doctors so unhelpful! I’m told 1g Valtrex would stop it completely and guess what its not stopped. Thank you for the solidarity! I’m trying Llysine now.. will report back if I find anything helpful.

I think it's stress brought on by the pandemic. I was diagnosed in autumn 2020, but I dated a guy more than 5 years before that who had HSV so I think I got it then. But it's only during COVID I've had frequent outbreaks. Talk about your body kicking you when you're down...

I've also yet to be vaccinated and really looking forward to it. Worrying about getting long COVID is no fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, diet is important, but your immune system is going down.  Happened to me last summer.  In the beginning, 5 yrs ago, I was having outbreaks about every 3 months, but from June-Sept 2020, I was having them every 2-4 weeks.

I contacted a doctor who treats naturally.  He mostly works with cancer patients but had a long list of other issues he treated for.  He put me on a program for 6 months....it was a lot of capsules!  24/day...8  a half hour before each meal....so timing was somewhat of an issue now and then, but I made it work.

My program ended in March.  As of today, I haven't had a breakout for 128 days.  I'm not supposed to have any more, but I was told, if I do, he would put me on another program.   Think about finding a naturalist in your area.  It's not going to be cheap....I spend about $250/month on supplements, plus his consult fees (one call; one in-person visit).  But I'm glad I reached out to him.  To me, it was worth it. 🤞

I was seriously depressed about so much last night; have been actually for a few days. I am usually pretty positive. Woke up this morning with my lower back aching and shooting pains in my legs. I’ve only had the virus for two months and was doing so well. I upped my l-lysine and made sure I walked today. It is what it is.

5 minutes ago, Sarah317 said:

I was seriously depressed about so much last night; have been actually for a few days. I am usually pretty positive. Woke up this morning with my lower back aching and shooting pains in my legs. I’ve only had the virus for two months and was doing so well. I upped my l-lysine and made sure I walked today. It is what it is.

I'm sorry you felt that way.  It's so hard at times, I get it.  I was having a rough night last night too because I met someone and the anxiety of having to eventually tell him about this was just too much.  Today is a bit better and I hope you start to feel a little better too.  Hang in there.  

• Like 1

First, you calling herpes a "little b***h of a virus," made me laugh out loud, so thank you for that. 

Second, I am so sorry you are experiencing the repeat breakouts. There are so many factors that can impact flareups, including diet, which you mentioned.

I wanted to ask if you had HSV1 or HSV2, as I know HSV2 outbreaks can link highly to hormones (for example, many people who menstruate get their outbreaks with their periods). Stress is a major change, so has anything stressful happened in your life recently?

It could even be the COVID vaccine, as another member mentioned.

Overall, I am so sorry about this. I am sending you hope, love, wellness, and peace. ❤️ We are here for you if you need any more support, or feel free to private message me if you just need a buddy to talk to!!  

@Sarah317 Hi!! I am sorry to hear that you are struggling.

The shooting pain is so horrible, and it is honestly so strange that herpes lives in the base of our spines, which causes those neuron shoots to the legs and lower back.

Your body may still be getting used to the virus (since you've only had it two months), and stress can impact the virus. Sometimes the stress we get from the first outbreak compounded with the fear of having another and the stress of feeling like you are bad or dirty (which you are not!) could be making our stress levels so high we get another outbreak (how poopy 💩 is that?!)

I would say take it easy. Be kind to yourself and your body. This is not your fault. We are all here for you whenever you need! If you are ever having a rough night or day feel free to private message me, just for some company or support! 

Sending Love and Wellness ❤️

• Like 1
On 4/10/2021 at 4:48 PM, HJewel2 said:

Currently on month 4 of rolling outbreaks. Have had neuropathic pain and flu symptoms. Now nerve pain is all thats left but it wont go. I’ve had this 6 years too and I think this was brought on by other meds as thats the only change I can think of. I want this hell to stop.

Hi!! I just read this and wanted to send some happy vibes! I hope you are doing better. We are here for you! Direct message me if you need any additional happy energy.

Sending Health, Happiness, and Good Vibes 🌄❤️

14 hours ago, NJRunnerMom said:

I'm sorry you felt that way.  It's so hard at times, I get it.  I was having a rough night last night too because I met someone and the anxiety of having to eventually tell him about this was just too much.  Today is a bit better and I hope you start to feel a little better too.  Hang in there.  

@NJRunnerMomi hope it works out well with the new guy!! Prayers for you!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just have a question. I was just diagnosed 3 days ago.  Life has literally been hell until I was diagnosed and started treatment.  Valtrex causes me dibilitating headaches, nausea, and vomiting, so my doctor changed me to Zovirax.   My question is how well does suppression therapy work?  My doctor is vey optimistic that I may never have a flare up if I do this.  She said if I do feel one coming on I can up the medication to prevent it.    Anyone have this experience?

Thank you

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Askingforgrace said:

I just have a question. I was just diagnosed 3 days ago.  Life has literally been hell until I was diagnosed and started treatment.  Valtrex causes me dibilitating headaches, nausea, and vomiting, so my doctor changed me to Zovirax.   My question is how well does suppression therapy work?  My doctor is vey optimistic that I may never have a flare up if I do this.  She said if I do feel one coming on I can up the medication to prevent it.    Anyone have this experience?

Thank you

Hi There.  I was diagnosed in January of this year and have been on Valtrex ever since.  So far, no more OB's since the first one.  

• Like 2

@Askingforgrace

Hi!! 

I'm so sorry you were suffering. 

It depends on the type of HSV you have. I have had GHSV-1 since 2019, but I've only had two outbreaks after my first, and I'm not on suppressive medication (I only take the medicine when I have an outbreak). 

I know that HSV-2 is more likely to result in more frequent outbreaks, so suppressive treatment may help you if you have type 2. If you have type 1 but are in a relationship and don't want to have to worry about anything, suppressive treatment also would be helpful. It all depends. 

Just know that the first outbreak is always the WORST, since your body has to build immunity to the new foreign virus. 

We are here to support you with whatever you choose!! 

Sending Love and Light! ❤️☀️🍀🌄🌼🌈

• Like 1