• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Acyclovir Allergy?

Hello everyone, 

I caught HSV1 on my booty last year, and I’m sure we can all agree, it surely sucks. My friends reassured me that it’s very common and there’s a quick fix to prevent break-outs. The drug they suggested was acyclovir. 

I tried this and it worked a treat. Unfortunately I realised it was doing something else to me; I was breaking out in hives, a sure sign of allergy. 

I’ve discussed  this with a doctor in hope of an alternative, but they’ve stated that I will just have to grin and bear any future breakouts without medication. Surely there must be alternatives? 

If you’re allergic/sensitive to acyclovir, what medications do you opt for?

Hi, Reading your post has got me thinking that since I was diagnosed with hsv2 over two years ago I habe developed what looks like roseaca or however you spell it on my face. It is a constant red vessel rash on both my cheeks and can be itchy,wondering if taking acyclivor each day is the cause of it. I am nearly over a first outbreak that I haven't had since taking suppresive therapy so it shows it does work and the outbreak wasn't bad at all so I'm thinking weighing the options I will remain on acyclivor and deal with the red face. Maybe see if allergy tablets daily on top help with the hives?

10 minutes ago, Anonymous88 said:

Hi, Reading your post has got me thinking that since I was diagnosed with hsv2 over two years ago I habe developed what looks like roseaca or however you spell it on my face. It is a constant red vessel rash on both my cheeks and can be itchy,wondering if taking acyclivor each day is the cause of it. I am nearly over a first outbreak that I haven't had since taking suppresive therapy so it shows it does work and the outbreak wasn't bad at all so I'm thinking weighing the options I will remain on acyclivor and deal with the red face. Maybe see if allergy tablets daily on top help with the hives?

I think the risk is that although hives are a bit itchy and a nuisance, you can’t predict allergy. It could be hives one day but anaphylactic shock the next 😞