• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valtrex and depression

Anyone have problems with depression taking Valtrex? I can’t tell if it’s just being diagnosed or if I’m having side effects. I was more positive before taking the meds (2 doses in at 1000mg/day). I am prone to depression and anxiety to begin with.

Thanks!

That's a great question because I'm experiencing the same, although I'm thinking that it's more trying to grasp the realization of the diagnosis than anything.  I've put on 10lbs since my January diagnosis and I can't seem to get myself together.  The ups and downs are really hard and then add in life and it's just even harder.  

Well, I suffered from severe postpartum depression and have had bouts here amd there. I am very in tune with where my feelings are and can usually pull myself out of it. But yesterday was the first time in 20 years where I honestly did not feel like I had control. I’ve been able to see the bright side even through this. Today I woke up and I was good again. I’m not taking it today and see how I feel. I will definitely let you know. I read there is up to a 10% chance of this side effect. One of the other drugs doesn’t have this side effect. I will go back and see which one that was.

• Like 1

That is a good question. I was on 1,000 2x day for first two weeks and was seriously depressed. I figured it was diagnosis and other things. Which it probably was. I still take 500 a day sometimes twice a day for a few days if I feel like I may get another outbreak however I haven't had another one. Think I'm paranoid though and not used to reading my body's reactions yet. This is such a tricky virus to navigate in early stages I think. Everyone responds so differently!

• Like 2

So very true. I usually take meds/vitamins at 7:30 am. Didn’t take the Valtrex and feel pretty optimistic. I was so incredibly low yesterday.  I mean LOW. 

I will keep you up to date. I’d rather suffer longer with symptoms and feel better emotionally than suffer with both for a shorter period of time.

Just found this:

Because valacyclovir is a prodrug, it's only active in your body for a short period of time after it's taken. On its own, its half-life is approximately 30 minutes. However, once valacyclovir has converted into acyclovir, it has a half-life of 2.5 to 3.3 hours in people with normal renal 

Taking it at night may be a solution!! I will take mine tonight and see how I do tomorrow. Let it do it’s dirty work while I’m asleep. 😂

7 minutes ago, Sarah317 said:

Taking it at night may be a solution!! I will take mine tonight and see how I do tomorrow. Let it do it’s dirty work while I’m asleep. 😂

That's my thought too.  I didn't take mine yet so I'm going to take it before bed as well and see if anything changes.  Why not right??!!

• Like 1

@Sarah317 I'm sorry you hit a LOW. I can totally relate to that. I would sometimes hope I would have a stroke or brain bleed in my sleep. Yeah terrible I know. I would never commit suicide but some days and nights are especially hard to get through especially when the girls are at their dad's - which is 50% of the time. I hope switching your medication timing helps. My bad thoughts just took time. I'm starting to adjust to my new normal. 

• Like 1

It took me like 4 weeks to feel better. I would have ok days but then would have another outbreak. Sucked! I had achy body but also leg pain. Itchiness was terrible. And you can't scratch because you don't want to spread it. I tired sleeping with gloves on. Awful. Good news is physical symptoms do subside! 

• Like 2

It’s been a few days taking it at night and I definitely do better. Unfortunately, bf and I are on the outs. I’ve poured my heart into him and he is not supportive at all. True colors are shining through. Looks like this won’t be about us but about me. In a way I think it may be better in the end. But I am heartbroken. 😢😢😢

I'm so sorry Sarah.   If anything take this as a sign that he wasn't right for you in the long run.   I know that doesn't help right now but in time you will see that this will be good for you.  Take this time to ficus on yourself and your health.   Hang in there girl! Hugs!

• Like 1