• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Suppression Therapy Finished

Hi. I have just come to an end of my first 6 month suppressive therapy, 2 x tablets daily for 6 months.

During the 6 month period, I had no outbreaks at all. Previous to taking them, I had regular outbreaks.

Would you recommend going back on the treatment straight away, or stop to see how my body has reacted to the treatment?

Many thanks.

If you don’t currently have a partner who doesn’t have herpes that you are trying to protect from transmission, you might as well go off the medication to see how your body handles it. Worst case scenario you have an outbreak that will heal, and you’ll have a helpful datapoint. After the year mark, most people’s immune systems can handle it pretty well and they’ll have infrequent outbreaks even without medication. If I were single and not sleeping with anyone, I wouldn’t be taking daily suppressive therapy. But since I’m trying to keep my wife safe, I take meds daily. 

So in short, there are really only 2 reasons to take meds; if your outbreaks are frequent or severe or if you are trying to keep a partner safe. Check out this article for more:
https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/herpes-medication

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: