• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

No outbreaks for 6 years, now it’s not stopping/postpartum

Hi all!

I joined this helpful forum 6 years ago when I was first diagnosed to help me cope emotionally. I am/was one of the people that didn’t show physical symptoms often (if ever), but it obviously took a toll on me mentally and emotionally. 

Once I accepted this was a part of my life, I moved on. I met someone a few years later that was negative and he was accepting of all of me and we got married and got pregnant. My pregnancy was easy and didn’t have any issues. (Also good to note I have been on valtrex daily since I was first diagnosed).

We had our beautiful little boy last July. All was well until September came around. I got a massive outbreak. Since then, I’ve had back to back outbreaks with barely any break in between. I think I’ve had 8 within a 6-7 month span (from September until now). It’s been insane, and of course physically painful and bringing back all the initial emotions I had when I was first diagnosed. My husband is super understanding and wonderful, but I’m definitely feeling distressed about it and worried it’s never going to end. 

I understand if it happened a few times right after I gave birth, but I’m now 8 months postpartum and feel like I’m back to myself again. I’m no longer breastfeeding (I thought that may have had something to do with it, so I stopped 3 months ago), I’m sleeping long stretches every night now so no longer fatigued from a new born, but I’m still getting them consistently. 

I think I am just hoping to get some feedback or if anyone has experienced something similar and how long it took for your body to go back to normal again? I’m sure hormones are playing a role, but it’s weird that I had no outbreaks during pregnancy, and just postpartum. I’ve talked to doctors about it and they haven’t been helpful to say the least. Thanks for your input!