• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valtrex or no valtrex?

I was diagnosed with HSV2 about a week and a half ago. Nightmare but that’s another story... 

Classic first outbreak. dr prescribed valtrex 2 tabs a day for 10 days. I’m almost done with the bottle and pretty afraid of another outbreak when it runs out... 

I guess my question is, would I be better off, if I had another OB to just let it ride so my immune system could battle with it and gain higher immunity or would I be better off with another prescription. 

I certainly do not want to be on daily suppressive medication for this but I’ll obviously do what I have to to keep things at bay. 

I'm just really scarred. I’ve never had an illness like this. I never even get a cold. I’m trying to be as logical and proactive as possible. 

There are 2 reasons to take medication: To keep a partner who doesn't have herpes safe and/or to keep unmanageable outbreaks under control. Here's an article with more details: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/herpes-medication

And for the first year, your body is getting things under control, building up antibodies, then for the majority of folks, outbreaks get less and less frequent/intense. What I did myself was just ride it out (without daily suppressive meds) so I could see what "normal" outbreaks would be like as a baseline, but it's a personal decision for everyone. If you were to ride it out, then worst case scenario (if outbreaks are too frequent and/or too severe) you could always go back on meds, especially in this first year to give your body some extra support. But regardless, just know that these outbreaks that show up in your first year aren't going to be representative of how your body will handle outbreaks for the rest of your life — or even in the very near future!

Hang in there! We've all been through it. It gets so much better. 

• Like 2

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I got it into my head that I wanted to go on daily medication to a) reduce breakouts and the anxiety that comes with it, b) be more confident in disclosing because I've already taken steps to reduce risk but also c) reduce the amount the virus is able to replicate in my body, thus reducing the reservoir population and future breakouts.

The last one is not something I've read about, but just assumed. Any evidence for meds not just reducing outbreaks (physical sores) but also preventing reservoir populations of the virus to increase?

• Like 1