• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Boyfriend and I both have HSV-1 - how cautious do we need to be about oral sex?

My boyfriend and I both got blood tests and showed positive for HSV-1. Since HSV-1 can also cause genital herpes, does this mean we should be cautious about oral sex? Or since we both already have HSV-1 antibodies, are we pretty much safe performing oral sex on each other? (He's willing to go on suppressive medication, but he hasn't actually had any cold sore outbreaks in years...I haven't had any outbreaks.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @NewGirl ❤️

I hope you are well. This is an AWESOME question and I'm sure so many others have asked this too. 

According to the World Health Organization (WHO) ... (See ➡️➡️➡️)

"HSV-1 is mainly transmitted by oral-to-oral contact to cause oral herpes infection, via contact with the HSV-1 virus in sores, saliva, and surfaces in or around the mouth. However, HSV-1 can also be transmitted to the genital area through oral-genital contact to cause genital herpes.

HSV-1 can be transmitted from oral or skin surfaces that appear normal and when there are no symptoms present. However, the greatest risk of transmission is when there are active sores.

➡️➡️➡️ Individuals who already have HSV-1 oral herpes infection are unlikely to be subsequently infected with HSV-1 in the genital area."

Source: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/herpes-simplex-virus

THAT BEING SAID ... the above quote says UNLIKELY ... this means there IS A SLIGHT CHANCE in it hypothetically occuring. Plus, using dental damns and condoms during oral sex is helpful in preventing so many other sexually transmitted diseases and infections besides HSV 1 and 2.  

I hope this helps!!

❤️🌄🍀☀️🌈

• Like 2

You just don’t know. However, you both already have it. It’s almost like a wait and see kind of situation. If he decides to come out downstairs, that is where you can expect to have reoccurring issues, if he decides to come out around your mouth, once again, That’s where you can expect to have outbreaks. I’m sure there’s a large percentage of people who would prefer to have it downstairs opposed to on their face but it’s kind of not up to you at this point. The good news is you have each other and I hope it’s a healthy relationship.

• 2 months later...