• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Issues with Valtrex

Hello,

new to the family here. Im looking for some other options besides the antivirals that are already prescribed. 

I was taking Valtrex for genital outbreak and then I started having more frequent cold sores while taking Valtrex. It seems like it’s just fixing one problem yet stirring up the other. 

Currently trying Super Lysine immune support daily and tea tree oil for cold sore, but I’m curious if anyone else has any other ideas. 

Thanks! 

@wishing Hello! ❤️🌄🌼!!

Welcome!! I am so happy you decided to join the community forum!!! 🤗!!!

I am sorry about the outbreaks. They can be really frustrating. Do you have HSV-1 or HSV-2, and located where on the body? 

I have never used Valtrex, but Acyclovir worked really well for me during my first GHSV-1 outbreak. 

In terms of more homeopathic remedies, I have used topical lysine which works wonders for the burning and itching, and creates almost a protective cover of sorts for against clothing (great for HSV on the lower area regions). 

Diet, stress levels, and hormones or sexual intimacy all can impact outbreaks, however they can impact HSV-1 and HSV-2 differently/with more intensity. However, by "getting to know" your specific outbreak triggers (what happens directly before your outbreaks? A day before? A few days?) you can learn what factors you can affect to help prevent outbreaks. 

There are many people on here who have successfully worked through their constant outbreaks with the help of homeopathic remedies and therapies, and I am sure they would be happy to help!! ❤️😊🌼!!

Sending Love and Light your way!!! 🌼🌄❤️🌈🍀☀️!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome! To answer your question, I had a blood test and both came back positive 😞 I knew about HSV 1, but never had a genital outbreak until 3 years after my diagnosis. My doctor doesn’t think the western blot is necessary since the blood results came back positive. 

My outbreaks are not really the typical cluster of blisters that burst and then crust over. I have just one or two tiny red bumps (not clustered together) on the buttocks that come and go. And my oral outbreaks are like fever blisters. I definitely have the tingling sensation that shoot down my legs along with body aches/fatigue, especially around my period.

I believe stress has been my biggest enemy with all of this. I’m so blessed to have a loving partner who is willing to stand by my side through this, but I’m having such a hard time loving myself now and the mental turmoil is causing damage to myself and my relationship. I think about the disease all day every day and have become hyper aware of my own symptoms. (A little background about me, I’m an RN so assessing is second nature to me). And finding a “herpes doctor” is like finding a needle in a haystack. 

Im currently on a travel contract in Raleigh NC. I would love to attend an in person therapy class that covers herpes, if you know of any. This is too hard for anyone to take on by themselves. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just wanted to reach out and share that I am going through some of what you are and I feel you. I was just diagnosed with G-HSV1 in February and it's rocked my world, so I can empathize with you when you say you're hyper aware of symptoms, etc. I've found that eating healthier and taking a really strong Multivitamin and L-Lysine (Thorne brand) help me feel like my body is stronger. even though maybe it's a placebo effect? I'm also taking Vitamin C, Fish Oil and Zinc Magnesium which I also think are helping my immune system.

The best things I'm doing now are: talk therapy, virtual sessions with Adrial (I swear, he's amazing and he never asked me to post about that), and I'm signed up for hypnosis in July. I also read the book "The Gift: 12 Lessons to Save Your Life" as recommended by my therapist (not herpes-related, but helpful) and each day I read a meditation from Melody Beattie's "Journey To The Heart" book.

I know this might not be what you are asking about, but I want to let you know you're not in this by yourself. You are worthy of amazing things. 

-A friend

• Like 3

@Smile1989 Hi, friend!! ❤️

I love love love your perspective and progress forward!!! You are really being kind to yourself, and inspiring others to do the same. 

Talk therapy is so healing. Books are awesome! Knowledge is powerful, and helps us break down that fear and sadness we may feel inside. A book I love is Assertiveness.for Earth Angels by Doreen Virtue, and The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. ❤️ Everything is connected, so even non-herpes-related books are so helpful and really can help with everything!! 

Tapping is an Emotional Freedom Technique (an EFT) and a great meditative way to heal and overcome issues such as panic attacks and OCD. Tapping with Brad Yates on YouTube rocks!! 

May your progress continue with happiness and strength!! Hooray for you and your journey ❤️. Sending blessings and happiness your way!! ❤️🌼☀️🌄🌈🦋

• Like 2

A few years back someone else made a similar post about Valtrex. Their doctor switched them over to acyclovir which turned out to be much better. I know you stated you wanted to stay away from antivirals, but if you cannot find an alternative to your liking acyclovir is an option.

• Like 1