• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

We need more exposure

I'm sure many of us have seen commercials for drugs for HIV. We've been talking about HIV publicly for a long time.

I've only seen one commercial for HSV.  We need more exposure, and the way to achieve that is through commercials. People need to get used to the idea of HSV and seeing that it's real.....and common, just like other STI's.  This is a disappointing area for me.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

@vexa2009 Hi!!

Yes!! 110%!! 

I actually am going to be a teacher for at-risk teens, and something I want to address with students is STIs-- not just the importance of being safe, but also to break stigmas around them, and encourage students to reach out for help if they need it, and provide them with resources. 

It's odd, because we talk about intercourse and sex usually in sex education at the 8th grade level (at least in most public schools in the Northeast USA), but every state actually has its own independent sexual Education legislation which may prevent discussion of STIs and such during sexual education. This really can harm students, since they aren't taught about how their own bodies work and how to stay safe. Check out what your state laws are and your children's school's ciriculum (available on every school district website) and check, and supplement what they are not being taught. 

Honestly, even hanging your kids an age-appropriate book for them to do independent reading can be helpful, since they won't be embarrassed by a parent talking to them about an awkward subject (I will do research on good books and share them with you!) This website called kidshealth.org is helpful and offers helpful educational info. 

However, I recommend waiting until the right age, of course. Too early and it won't make sense, since kids don't think abstractly until age 14, and discussion of sex Ed isn't the most appropriate for kids younger than 8th or 9th grade anyways. 

I'm also age 22 and have no children, so obviously moms know best! Use your mama bear judgment and wisdom 🌼 you know your kids best!! 

Sending blessings and joy your way!! 🌄☀️🌼🦋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Flowerteacher55

I have a 14 & 15 year old. Both girls. I also have a 17 yo boy--but I'll let his dad talk to him about it. I don't want to disclose my dx to my girls, but I do want them to know that routine STD testing doesn't include HSV and that you can get it even when using a condom. I think that's so incredibly important for them to also know that your partner doesn't have to have an active OB for them to contract it, and their partner might not even know they have it. I can honestly say that none of my partners ever had active sores when we engaged in sexual relations--which is why I wouldn't have a clue who I contracted it from. 

If you do find good books or other resources you find, please send them my way. 

• Like 1

Hi!! @vexa2009

Okay, awesome. I will do some research and get back to you! Yes, I agree on your points. It is also so important to ask to see the STI testing sheet that people get from getting tested (I call it their 'report card') before engaging in physical intimacy with others, although it doesn't have HSV on the screening. 

You sound like a wonderful mom! Your kids are lucky to have a mom who cares this much!! 

I'll let you know what I find! 

Blessings!! ☀️🌄

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, @vexa2009!!

I hope you are doing well. 

I have been looking up some resources for teenagers, and sadly there aren't many quality and kid-friendly resources on HSV prevention and safety. Therefore, I am going to make my own helpful infographic! I will send it to you when I am done making it. In the meantime, I wanted to send you some helpful links about teen health:

Statistics on teen HSV infections: https://www.cdc.gov/std/stats18/adolescents.htm (scroll to middle of article to see stats on HSV)

Pamphlet on STIs for Teens: https://www.cdc.gov/std/life-stages-populations/YouthandSTDs-Dec-2017.pdf

Infographic from CDC & Info: https://www.cdc.gov/std/prevention/lowdown/lowdown-text-only.htm

I hope this is helpful!  I'll make that infographic ASAP, and then you can give me feedback on what you think would be helpful!

Blessings!! 🙂