• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Chronic flu symptoms/prodrome-normal?

Hi everyone I had a question for the H experts. 

I was diagnosed with Genital HSV1 in October and was getting monthly outbreaks usually on my period. Lately they seem to be spread to every 2 months and have been getting less (go away in one day). I take 1000mg Valtrex daily for suppression (1 tab in morning 1 tab in evening) as well as supplementing with 500mg lysine. 

however, Ive been get really bad sickly flu symptoms (sore muscles, loss of appetite, sore joints and back) at least once a month for like 3-4 days but Without an outbreak. Before I was diagnosed that happened as well-I thought I had the flu for 3 days before I had the worst outbreak (my first) of my life. 

this flu keeps returning and is present for 3-4 days with no outbreak. Could this be pondrome symptoms? If so, does anyone have advice on managing this/preventing it/tips for suppression?? I thought pondrome symptoms is mostly like pain/tingling sensation in the area (which I don’t get-my outbreaks happen without warning I usually wake up with one on my period. Double fun lol)

if not maybe I have mono or something else I really don’t know. I was just told by a doctor that flu symptoms can happen with herpes. 

• Like 1
  • mr_hopp changed the title to Chronic flu symptoms/prodrome-normal?

Hi there,

I suffer from the same thing. I am in the midst of getting tested for Mollaret Meningitis. If you look it up, you can compare symptoms. HSV-2 is typically the culprit, followed by HSV-1. 

It’s going on 18 months for me. It’s rare, so there are not a ton of resources available. One doctor found one study for me that said it typically lasts less than 5 years, so fingers crossed that’s the case for me. 

Let me know what you think after you read up on it. It’s also called recurrent benign viral meningitis. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

yea that's not the flu... that is the hsv active in your system...  I've got the same issue with the loss of appetite..  it happens before an outbreak.. the outbreak is the final stage of it all...  It's a nasty feeling to have to go through though that prodrome stage but once you get past that point, you feel good again...

• Like 2
On 7/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, 12073273 said:

@gadamsgrega ya I thought so. However I don’t get an outbreak when I get these symptoms. Just flu for 3-4 days and then it goes away. Visible physical outbreaks I tend to get on my periods. Thank you for the info 🙂

I don’t get outbreaks either, just low grade fever, stiff neck, sore throat/swollen neck lymph nodes, headache, blurry/double vision, and fatigue. It’s happens in a cycle, usually right before mensuration and right after ovulation.   

Did you read up on Mollaret Meningitis? Does it seem to fit your symptoms? 

• Like 1
On 6/5/2021 at 2:11 PM, Flowerteacher55 said:

@~Minerva~

Hey! 

I literally wanted to say thank you for educating us all on Mollaret Meningitis. I've never heard of it before you mentioned it here! I bet this will help a lot of people who have been experiencing the same symptoms. 

@12073273

I hope you feel better 🍀 sending love and wellness your way! 🍀❤️🌈🌼☀️🌄

You’re welcome! Hopefully my experience in tracking down this condition can help others who are suffering and unsure as to what’s going on with them. 

Thanks for the well wishes 😊

• Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...

Hi - first post on this group and this is the main reason I wanted to explore what others go through here. I too have flu-like symptoms with herpes outbreaks and sometimes there is no outbreak at all, just the flu-like symptoms -- achy body, very stiff and sore neck, throat feels weird sometimes, fatigue and sometimes a very flat mood.

When I read up on this online, the literature usually comments that these symptoms only occur when a person has their first outbreak. Not at all true for me and good to see others also report what I experience. Note, I have had genital herpes for 33 years now and it still does this to me.

I have noticed that if I drink too much coffee, it tends to kick off these attack cycles complete with flu symptoms. Chocolate is also another thing that seems to trigger it as does sex. What a bummer. The only way I know to get this to settle down again is to lower the coffee, stop chocolate and get lots of sleep. 

• Like 1

@34south Hello, and Welcome to the Forum! 

I hope you are well. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It is always nice to hear of someone who can validate the symptoms others may be experiencing.

Caffeine (which is in chocolate!) can definitely be a trigger. Thank you for bringing that up!

Sending happiness and health your way! 🙂 

Blessings,

grace

On 7/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, ~Minerva~ said:

I don’t get outbreaks either, just low grade fever, stiff neck, sore throat/swollen neck lymph nodes, headache, blurry/double vision, and fatigue. It’s happens in a cycle, usually right before mensuration and right after ovulation.   

Did you read up on Mollaret Meningitis? Does it seem to fit your symptoms? 

Yes, some times you'll get all the nausea and loss of appetite and anxiety/depression symptoms but no outbreak...  It does that too sometimes...  HSV is weird...  Just know that that's what is playing games when you start getting like that...  It hangs around a while then you'll start getting good sleep and realize it has left...

• Like 1
On 5/7/2022 at 11:55 PM, 34south said:

you have had it longer then me... I've had it about 22 now... or so I believe that's when I got it...  I'm glad there are people out there like you that can shine light on all this for those that are just figuring it out...  And to the other poster- YES, the symptoms are constant esp if you are bothered about something coming up..We are in it for the long haul....  I don't take any of the Valtrex or pills either... I tried it, didn't make me personally feel any different then when I'm not...  Best advice to keep outbreaks low...  Eat a low fat, balanced diet...  take your multivitamin...  And when you feel the prodrome symptoms coming on... take notes in a journal... jot down every detail you can think of about how it feels, how long it lasts, etc...  you'll notice a pattern over time...

• Like 1