• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Going to the OBGYN

Hey Friends!!!

I just had my first OBGYN visit for my first annual exam and PAP exam. It went well!

Something that was awkward was talking about my HSV in front of my mom, who accompanied me. 

When it was just me and the doctor, italked about my HSV, and the doctor said, "Okay and you know you need to disclose it to others?" I said, "yes of course!!" Somehow we started talking about dating, and I mentioned the stigma of herpes. She said there isn't a stigma anymore since AIDS broke out,and that since then everyone sort of forgot about the other STIs. I was sort of shocked that she said that... we all know how stigmatized herpes is!!! I then told her how I've been rejected so many times for having it, and she seemed surprised. 

Honestly I think so many people, even doctors, forget about the impact of illness, and viruses like herpes, on social interaction,self-image, and intimacy. 

It is so odd how there are so many open-minded people out here, but there are many people who really don't know the facts and truth about herpes. Like, we are still people!! 

Thanks for listening to me rant!! Lol.

Blessings to you all!! ❤️🍀☀️🌈🌄🌼

• Like 1

I'm still new to this but my OBGYN made it seem like it wasn't a big deal but I don't think they realize the emotional and mental part of this.   I'd like to think that the older you get,  the more mature people you'll meet who will care more about companionship than the sex part, not that it's not important but it's not at the top of the list.  Keep smiling and putting out the positive vibes!  

• Like 1