• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Question about my first primary HSV 2 outbreak

Hi All, im new here and hoping someone could explain what I'm experiencing is normal as I'm full of anxiety at the moment. I was positive with genital HSV 2 about 1 month ago, and a sugar grain sized spot appeared about 2 days after intercourse. I read a lot of literature online and typical responses indicate that it usually resolves within 3-4 weeks.

What I would like to know is if it's common for that original sore to heal, however a neighbour may pop up while the first one is healing. I'm now having a third of fourth spot appearing while the first 2 are almost gone. Do they all come at once and go away, or can they gradually appear over the course of the first month?

Sorry, I'm just worried that I might have contracted HIV or whether the fact that I'm on immunosuppresant medication and my body is not able to keep it under control. 

It's a month now and that original spot is still there, however faint but there are a few other ulcers around now. 😞

I do have it under the foreskin on penis.

Sorry for this post and thanks for any insight on this topic.

Regards.

Hello!

First, do NOT apologize. Your questions are so valid. I am so sorry for your pain. Please know you are not alone and you have a group of people here who totally understand and care about you!

A first outbreak of HSV-2 can last anywhere from 2-4 weeks, according to the CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes-detailed.htm). This could be why you are still struggling with these sores a month after the initial infection began.

In terms of the sores: Sores heal in stages. All sores go through a typical cycle of burning/tingling skin, lesion/sores appear, they start to fill with fluid and ooze, eventually crust over/scab, and then finally the scab falls off and new skin grows. This can occur at a different time-frame for each sore, and these sores are dependent on the shedding of the virus. During an outbreak, the virus is shedding, which can cause new sores to appear. That is perhaps why sores are appearing despite old ones having healed. 

The marks from the sores may still last, because the skin is new and tender, and because of this it's often shades lighter than the rest of the skin around it. For me, after the sores went away, I could tell where the sores once were since new pink skin replaced the scabs. 

Have you seen any doctors, and have you been prescribed any antiviral medication? If so, have you noticed it working at all? If not, have you told your doctor? Maybe they could try a different kind (Common ones are Acyclovir, Famcyclovir, and Valacyclovir). Placing Lysine cream on the sores is a natural way to help the sores heal and relieve pain and chafing from clothing.

These sites are helpful for information: 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/genital-herpes-common-but-misunderstood 

https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes-detailed.htm

I hope this helps! Remember to be kind to yourself. You are still worthy of love and kindness.  This is not your fault and it does not make you any less of a person. Stay strong!

Sending wellness and happiness your way! ☀️:classic_happy:

Dear Flowerteacher55,

Thank you so much for your reply, that really helped me understand this process.

Yes, am seeing a doctor and did initially take Valacylcovir for 5 days then stopped. Have just started taking again and will continue for 5 days and hope things improve. 

Thanks again, I'll monitor and hope it improves. Glad to know this is typical behaviour of it.

Wishing you well.

• Like 1