• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can I acquire HSV1 if I have GHSV2?

Hi! I've had this literally forever lol. 35 plus years and have read about everything there is to read and actually have never passed this on to anyone not even my late husband of 25.  I have hvs2 genital can I get hvs 1 too? Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi!!! 

Yes, you can have/contract both HSV1 and HSV2. It's interesting because there was a study done that found people with HSV-1 who later contracted HSV-2 didn't show as intense symptoms because their bodies already were familiar with the virus (although it was a different strain, so symptoms still arose). However, for you it's vise versa for you since you already have HSV-2, so yes you could still get HSV-1 but I'm not sure if you would show noticable intense symptoms, etc!! I can share the article with you shortly!! 😊

However, it is highly unlikely you would contract HSV-1 unless your partner had it, or a relative kissed you who had a sore or was virally shedding. You can't get it from toilet seats, clothing, touching simple objects, etc! Skin-to-skin is how it's mainly passed!! 

I hope this helps!! Maybe ask a doctor or a place such as a Planned Parenthood about it-- you can call them and ask the nurse on call and the advice is great!! ❤️

Sending happiness and wellness your way!! ☀️🌄🌼🌈

• mr_hopp changed the title to Can I acquire hvs1 if I have ghvs2?
8 hours ago, Sumshine said:

Thank you! I'm asking because a potential partner has 1 and 2, but has never had an outbreak and has no idea if his hvs 1 is genital or oral. He's never had a cold sore. 

Hi!!!

Okay! So this partner... Did they find out they had herpes from a blood test or STI panel? 

Also, it is unlikely to pass HSV-1 from the genital area (called GHSV-1). I have GHSV-1 and it's really unlikely to pass it genital-to-genital, which is good! However, your potential partner should monitor their health and watch for any prodrome symptoms (tingling, itch, etc); this could help them figure out where they have their HSV-1. 

Blessings!! 🌼

So, I went to Terri Warren's question and answer forum and found the answer to my question. I was almost sure I read in her book, that I no longer have that if you only have ghvs2 you are highly unlikely to ever aquire oral or ghvs1. So, now we know lol. Thank you for responding though. If you go to her forum and pose this question in the search box, it will take you to her answering this exact question

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • mr_hopp changed the title to Can I acquire HSV1 if I have GHSV2?

Hi @Sumshine! Hm, perhaps you're just looking at one category instead of all? Just go to the main page and you can see the most recent topics in all categories: https://forums.herpesopportunity.com

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

On 6/21/2021 at 4:00 PM, Sumshine said:

So, I went to Terri Warren's question and answer forum and found the answer to my question. I was almost sure I read in her book, that I no longer have that if you only have ghvs2 you are highly unlikely to ever aquire oral or ghvs1. So, now we know lol. Thank you for responding though. If you go to her forum and pose this question in the search box, it will take you to her answering this exact question

Hi, I have a question about this please-

Let’s say- I have HSV2 genital, so this means that I should be protected from HSV1 oral? 
also, do we know whether is it possible to acquire HSV2 on your lips if you already have GHSV2 but let’s say give oral sex to your partner? And let’s say the partner doesn’t show any symptoms but has HSV2? 

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2021 at 1:02 PM, Sunshine11 said:

Hi, I have a question about this please-

Let’s say- I have HSV2 genital, so this means that I should be protected from HSV1 oral? 
also, do we know whether is it possible to acquire HSV2 on your lips if you already have GHSV2 but let’s say give oral sex to your partner? And let’s say the partner doesn’t show any symptoms but has HSV2? 

Following the same line of thinking, if you have GHSV1, can you then acquire it orally from someone who has oral HSV1? I thought I saw this on here before, but I haven't been able to find it in my searches.