• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Yeast infection

Sorry I know this isn’t a herpes question it I got a yeast infection the same time I got diagnosed with HSV2. I took Fluconazole but now over a week later I’m not sure if I have a yeast infection. I’m having thick milky white discharge (it’s not lumpy but more cream) but it doesn’t smell, no pain during urination or itchy. Could this still be yeast infection? I thought about trying the 1 day monistat. Any insight would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Hello!

No need to apologize!! Feel free to ask any questions you have 🙂

Ugh, having a yeast infection and a herpes outbreak must have been terrible!! My first outbreak I had a sinus infection and my period 😑 it was absurd haha. 

How was your yeast infection diagnosed? Through a urine culture? Or just from explaining symptoms to the doctor? 

Herpes can sometimes affect discharge, especially if the sores were inside the vaginal cavity. The discharge may be a sign that the yeast infection is/has cleared, as the vagina self-cleans, and the fact that the discharge doesn't have an odor is a good sign. I wouldn't take the monisat-1 until you ask your doctor about it, since that is a one dose pill that is very concentrated, and you were just on a course of the Flucanazole. Too much of anything can be potentially harmful, so I would call the OBGYN or doctor and ask about the symptoms. You can even ask the on call nurse, as you can always ask them questions, and then they can transfer your call directly to the doctor if needed. 

I hope this helps!! 🌼🌻🌄

Blessings, Grace

Thank you for the help! I feel so weird talking about it. I was diagnosed with my first OB/yeast infection on 6/28 and the doctor gave me meds for both. It was after that the discharge started. I didnt realize I had a yeast infection at the time. I figured with the meds it would clear up but it has been about the same. I dont know if it’s just normal discharge at this point but I figured it must be another yeast infection since it’s been consistent. I may be freaking myself out because since I was diagnosed i have been checking myself every day seeing if anything is changing down there! 😞 I started taking L-lysine, probiotics and valtrex (3 days so far) since being diagnosed. At what point should I go back to the doctor? If the discharge smells/pain? I want to have sex and I am so nervous to do anything now because I still feel sensitive down there. 

Hello!! 🙂 

Talking about these topics can feel totally weird, but don't worry, this is a judgment-free zone! 🙂 

A yeast infection is caused by an overgrowth of Candida, which is a natural fungus that our bodies make. Too much sugar, a movement of fluids between anal, oral, and vaginal sex, and even too tight clothing, not changing after working out or sweating, and even soaps can all cause yeast infections. They are very common! Don't feel bad about having one. ❤️ 

Yes, definitely the hyper-focusing on the area can cause us to over examine and over analyze everything, when in reality our body parts are in perfect working order. Vaginal discharge is really interesting and diverse, and a creamy, unscented discharge can occur after exercise, during ovulation, and when your vagina is self-cleaning. 

The discharge associated with yeast infections is typically like cottage cheese, very thick, lumpy, and it doesn't smell good. thick, gooey, milky-colored discharge with no smell is a sign of ovulation. The fact that your burning and itching have cleared is a good sign! I don't think you have anything to worry about ❤️ However, if you are worried, call your doctor and just ask questions to the nurse. If they think your symptoms are something to worry about, they'll ask you to make a follow up appointment. 

In regard to the supplements you are taking: probiotics are MAGICAL. As someone with digestive issues, probioitcs and digestive enzymes have helped me so much. Also, making sure you are hydrated and aren't overdoing sugar (which feeds yeast) are great ways to keep yeast in check and keep your parts healthy. Lysine prevents the body from accepting arginine, which is needed by HSV to shed and grow. Lysine tablets can be helpful, especially during an active outbreak. 

Since you are on day three of the Valtrex, I would advise you NOT to engage in sexual activity. Not only have you not finished the complete dosage of the medication (the doctor usually prescribes 3 tablets per day for five days), and you mentioned that you are sensitive down there. After an outbreak, the skin can be really really sensitive, and any friction would not be helpful for the healing process at all. Also, you can potentially spread the virus to your partner. Typically, people wait two week from the date when they stopped experiencing symptoms to engage in sexual activity. 

I hope this helps!! 🙂

Sending happy healing thoughts your way!

Blessings,

Grace

Sorry I meant I’m on my third day of taking the daily valtrex.I finished the 10 day dosage she gave but I’m still sensitive. You mentioned earlier about having sores in the vaginal cavity. how would you know if you had them inside or on cervix? I was worried that’s what happened and my doctor said “you would know” but I’m concerned I did have sores inside. When she took a swab there was a sore in the lip and she only put a swab inside because everything was so sore. 

• Like 1

Hi!! 

Oh okay I understand now!!! I'm so sorry you are still sore after the ten days worth of Valtrex. That is pretty common, since your body basically was undergoing so many changes at the cellular level. 

Are you now using daily Valtrex as a suppressent? (Meaning you'll take it every day from this point on to try and prevent future outbreaks) or did the doctor just give you extra to help with the soreness? 

Also, in terms of sores in the genitals, the doctor's answer of "you would know" is honestly just not helpful 😑 like, seriously, c'mon dude. I am so sorry about that. 

The way I found out was the doctor actually gave me an internal exam with a speculum, and saw them herself. She explained a lot of the intense pain was coming from the internal sores. I didn't 'feel' them, if you know what I mean. Like it didn't feel like there was anything there, it just hurt and was sore. I wouldn't have known they were there unless the doctor looked with the speculum. You totally can have internal sores without "feeling" or "just knowing" they are there, so it is possible you had them, especially if you had sex without a condom or had received oral sex (that's how I think I got my herpes).

I hope this helps!!

Blessings,

Grace

No I’m taking daily suppression now. That’s what I was wondering. She just said I would know as if the pain would’ve been more intense I’m assuming. She couldn’t go inside with a speculum because I was so sore it hurt to move. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Hi!! 

Daily suppression has helped so many people.

You are so welcome. I hope everything is all okay, and remember it is totally okay to reach out to your doctor if you feel you need to. HSV can be complex at first, but you don't have to go through it alone! ❤️. Reach out if you have any more questions! 

Blessings, Grace