• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Flat negative??

I have like the tell-tale signs of herpes. 
The only person I’ve been with claims he has mono and not herpes. 
1. painful sores on genital - like excruciating and unbearable 

2. exhaustion- sooo tired. 
3. mouth full of sores

4. Sore throat 

5. aches and pains 

The symptoms began on Friday July 10th… and the sores erupted Monday- I got tested on July 15th. 
It came back as negative!! 

anyways I have a negative herpes test. How can this be?!?!

7AE4715B-58CF-4C43-B1A9-1B754A11421B.png

70FEC687-54CB-41B0-84F5-EEBA0EE63F80.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mari818 said:

I have like the tell-tale signs of herpes. 
The only person I’ve been with claims he has mono and not herpes. 
1. painful sores on genital - like excruciating and unbearable 

2. exhaustion- sooo tired. 
3. mouth full of sores

4. Sore throat 

5. aches and pains 

The symptoms began on Friday July 10th… and the sores erupted Monday- I got tested on July 15th. 
It came back as negative!! 

anyways I have a negative herpes test. How can this be?!?!

7AE4715B-58CF-4C43-B1A9-1B754A11421B.png

70FEC687-54CB-41B0-84F5-EEBA0EE63F80.jpeg

From what i have read it takes some people up to a year to get a positive test. I still haven't actually seen a herpes sore on me but I get burning. Maybe I get my sores inside or something. If i've learned anything its that everyone's OB is different. That does look like a classic case of H though. I'd test again in a few months. 

• Like 1

Hi!! @Mari818

I hope you are doing okay 🙂 

I am so sorry about your struggles. 

It is possible for your partner to have both herpes and mono, even if he declares he doesn't have it. If he is the only person you have ever been sexually intimate with, then it sounds like he gave it to you. Has he been tested for it previously?

Remember, not all people have symptoms of herpes if they have it. In fact, men and people with penises are more likely to be asymptomatic. For his own health, he could get a IgG blood test to see if he has HSV antibodies, and which type of HSV (1 or 2). He obviously can't get the viral culture swab since it seems like he has never had a sore or noticed one (many people mistaken herpes sores, especially mild ones and/or small ones, as ingrown hairs or pimples. When talking to him about it, try not to be harsh or critical, as this approach tends to make people turn their ears off and get defensive. Instead, you can explain the asymptomatic trends and ask him if he would like a blood test, since his health matters, and knowing if you have HSV is important and helpful.

In terms of the negative test results: false negatives are common. Was the test result you shared above a blood test or a culture swab of the sores? 

🩹For Culture Swabs:  According to the American Sexual Health Association, culture swabs can produce negative results, since a culture uses sores. "If a lesion is very small or is already beginning to heal, there may not be enough virus present for an accurate culture. Beyond 48 hours of the symptoms appearing, there is risk of false negative." Another interesting thing: "Viral culture is even less accurate during recurrences (positive in only about 30% of recurrent outbreaks."

Since you were tested over 48 hours after the sores appeared, it is likely this is why the culture swab came back negative. 

🩸For Blood Tests: It is recommended to wait 12-16 weeks from the last possible date of exposure before getting any of the herpes blood tests," "in order to allow enough time for antibodies to reach detectable levels."

Think back to the last time you were sexually intimate with the person, and wait 12-16 weeks from that date of exposure and go in for a blood test. Hopefully this will come back with the positive results. 

In terms of the picture: Those really do look like herpes sores. Herpes sores have a little dimple in the center of them, which I can see in the picture. Plus, they are in a cluster. It seems like they are in the early stages of healing. 

I also wanted to ask... because you tested negative, did the doctor not give you any medicine? If so, that isn't cool, your suffering will be prolonged. If you need medicine, you can call the doctors office and ask for a supply to take just in case this is hereps (which obviously it seems like it is, despite the test result). If you did get an antiviral, yay! Hopefully this will help you with the pain and sores. You can also use lysine cream to apply to the sores, as it helps them heal and soothes them. 

I hope this helps!! 

Sending happy healing energy your way!! 🙂❤️ 

Blessings,

Grace

I did the blood test- 

he is not the only person I’ve been with- but the only person I’ve been with recently and we both have the same symptoms…. He has not mentioned any genital sores. 

He has been getting sick- getting better and then getting sick. They tested him for “everything” he said and mono is what came back as positive. 

I wanted to see what my results were before I spoke to him…. And then I was like no I want to get advice. 

My daughter has all of the same symptoms, he’s never met my daughter lol. So it would have to be from me- so many sores on the inside of her mouth she won’t even eat. I’m taking her to doctor tomorrow. It’s just odd… VERY odd.

• Like 1

Hi!!

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. That is horrible! Oral sores inside the mouth of children can indicate a couple of things, however it sounds like canker sores, or aphthous stomatitis. They can occur in clusters in the mouths of children and adults, and can indicate a food allergy, bad brushing habits, or an infection, among other things. Your child's doctor should be able to help things out and diagnosis the situation, it is great you are taking her to the doctor!! It is very very unlikely that would be HSV. If it is, that is a different scenario we can talk about if that's the case. 

In regards to your herpes, the blood test probably came back negative because it's only been a few days, and the antibodies have to build up to be detectable. I would wait the 12-16 weeks and go back for the IgG. During those weeks, if you have another outbreak, see if you can get a culture swab right away. 

In the meantime, I am sorry that the man is consistently sick. I had mono last year and it was very very draining. It is often a diagnosis of exclusion (see what the diagnosis isn't in order to narrow it down to what it is or could be). However, because of the timing (you contracted herpes and had your first OB while being with him) it would be logical to talk about it with him. 

I hope you are feeling better!! 

Sending happiness your way 🌄

Grace

The antibody test you did is reliable after three months after last exposure. If this time has not passed, try to get another test in the next weeks. It takes up to 3 months to make antibodies (not a year). After 3 months, it is extremly reliable.
Also, your image just shows hsv-2. Did you get tested for hsv-1?

Regards,

• Like 1