• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV Symptoms in Men Compared to Women?

Hi!!! 

That is a great question!! And yes, you are correct! 

So, herpes is a virus that enters the body through mucous membranes, which is why it is more easy for a vagina to contract it than a penis. Similarly, symptoms tend to be more intense for people with vaginas because of various reason, including the sensitivity of the mucous membrane skin on the inner labia, vaginal opening, and walls of the vagina. 

Genial Herpes outbreaks, primarily from the HSV-2 strain, can be triggered by PMS and female hormones, which then would equate to monthly (or more or less) outbreaks. 

In additional, the triggers of friction from tight clothing and underwear is more commonly a feminine-clothing-associated problem, which would lead to more frequent and possibly more painful outbreaks. However, any clothing that is too tight or blocks air or traps sweat (especially athletic clothing) can cause issues. 

I am going to do some research and send you the article links!! In the meantime, I hope the above helped answer your question!! 🌄

Blessings,

Grace

• Like 1

Thanks once again. Following what you were saying would that mean use of a condom would do more to protect menagainst contracting herpes than a woman? My thought is a condom would cover any mucosal membrane or opening in a males genitals assuming there are not cuts or sores on his body at the time of intercourse. 

• Like 1

Hi!! 

That is a great question.

A condom is always a good idea in general, since it protects against other STIs besides herpes, too! Herpes can appear/get contracted in other non-mucous membrane areas (just skin), I am so sorry for the miscommunication! 

While you are totally correct about the mucous membrane being vulnerable to infection, herpes can still infect the skin around the genitals, buttocks, anal area, and mouth, even with the use of a condom or dental dam. So, while a traditional condom does cover the 'hole' part of the penis, it doesn't cover the other surrounding skin, which is still vulnerable to infection. 

I hope that this helps!! 

Blessings,

Grace

• Like 1