• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Antibody test name?

Does anyone know the proper name for the blood index antibody level test? It's a blood test that like tells you like the level of antibodies? I was wondering what the proper name for it is so that when I call and ask I don't have to explicitly say out loud "it's for herpes" also, does planned parenthood offer this test?

• Like 1

Hi!! 

Of course. So there are three main tests: an IgG, and IgM, and a Western Blot (special test done by a specific college medical clinic). 

You can ask for an IgG HSV antibody test. The IgG is the best test to have, as it tests for antibodies AND tells you the type of HSV antibody (1 or 2) you have present. 

The test reads the level of antibodies present, between a range of x<.9 (negative) .9<x<1.09 (unclear results) or 1.09<x (positive).

Remember, for the levels to appear as positive for HSV, the IgG test will have had to be done about 12 weeks or more from the date of the first outbreak or date of possible exposure. 

Here is an information page from Quest Diagnostics, which is helpful!!! https://testdirectory.questdiagnostics.com/test/test-detail/6447/herpes-simplex-virus-1-and-2-igg-type-specific-antibodies?p=r&cc=MASTER

I just checked out Planned Parenthood's website of offered services, and sadly it seems they do not do herpes antibody blood testing (only culture swabs for actives sores). In this case, I recommend asking a doctor for a referral for bloodwork. If you already know you have HSV, your doctor may be confused as to why you would want a second blood test. However, if you are interested in seeing the antibody count you have, that is a reason to get it done. However, I am unsure if all tests will show you the number of antibodies of it the test just tells you the range in which it falls in. I would ask your OBGYN or doctor, or of all else fails go to a health clinic that offers STI/herpes blood testing.

I hope this helps!!! 🌻

Blessings,

Grace

• Like 1

Hi!! 

Of course!! 

So, I honestly am unsure how to interpret the blood results in a way that explains how exactly the test works. However, it seems that the test examines the amount of herpes IgG antibodies in .5-1.0 mL of blood. If the amount of antibodies texted is lower than .9, you are negative for herpes, as you lack enough antibodies that show previous infection. What is odd is there is an "unclear" category, which can mean the test was inconclusive and you should/can get retested. The "unclear" category is when your antibody count is between .9-1.09. finally, if you have a high antibody count, about 1.09, you have herpes antibodies, which indicates you have last exposure to the virus, as your body has built up antibodies. 

I can't explain why the numbers are 1.09 and .9, or what units the antibodies are measured in (picograms, I think?). If you wanted a medically-accurate explanation of how the test works specifically, you can ask a phlebotomist or your doctor! ☀️ 

I hope this helps!! 

Blessings,

Grace

• Like 1