• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Male Infertility G-HSV-1

Hi all.

I have come into a very depressing time in life. I have never had an HSV1 outbreak, but i whole heartedly believe it is below, not on my lip.

it took a very long time (over 1 year) to have my first child, but we never looked into why. We have a happy and healthy child now. 

it has been over one year, trying for a second, no luck. Wife negative for hsv1. I am positive. Semenalysis shows low sperm count 12 million, 3 out of 4 (which I believe is ok “rapid straight line”) on motility and Krueger morphology only 1%.

I checked testosterone, it was great, CBC, CMP was great, Chloesterol was a little high but nothing life changing. 

Lifestyle. Where it’s easy to point to this, I can’t blame it for the complete poor ness of the sperm I smoke cigarettes. Other than that i do not drink etc… 

all fingers kind of point to the HSV1 being “down below” and reaping havoc on my sperm.

Help. Has anyone been down this road? Can Anti-Virals help?

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are struggling. Please know you are not alone and that we are here to support you! 

There are studies done on infertility and HSV, however HSV-2 is typically the more studied strain. Infertility causes are often diagnosed for so many people because the exact cause of the infertility is sometimes hard to figure out.

I found this medical journal article from 2009 discussing how a variety of different viruses, including HSV-1 and HSV-2, impact semen and fertility for men. The article uses the semen samples of 172 men in Europe, who are experiencing infertility (specifically, I think the article uses men from Greece). 

Attached is the summary of findings/conclusions.

Here is the link to the study: https://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(08)00749-8/pdf

I hope this helps!

If anyone can offer any advice or support, please do! 🙂 

Sending blessings of health and happiness to you and your family! 🙂 

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 11.24.47 AM.png

9 hours ago, Flowerteacher55 said:

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are struggling. Please know you are not alone and that we are here to support you! 

There are studies done on infertility and HSV, however HSV-2 is typically the more studied strain. Infertility causes are often diagnosed for so many people because the exact cause of the infertility is sometimes hard to figure out.

I found this medical journal article from 2009 discussing how a variety of different viruses, including HSV-1 and HSV-2, impact semen and fertility for men. The article uses the semen samples of 172 men in Europe, who are experiencing infertility (specifically, I think the article uses men from Greece). 

Attached is the summary of findings/conclusions.

Here is the link to the study: https://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(08)00749-8/pdf

I hope this helps!

If anyone can offer any advice or support, please do! 🙂 

Sending blessings of health and happiness to you and your family! 🙂 

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 11.24.47 AM.png

What amazes me about all of this research. They speak of it and prove it can cause infertility, but no research is posted on how they tried to help it. Could Valtrex possibly work?

• Like 1

That is such a great question! 

Since herpes seems to be affecting the DNA of the sperm, it is possible that antivirals may not help this. However, please know I am NOT a medical professional, and I could be totally wrong!! I am going to tag @Ebelskiver who is a nurse practitioner with experience in this area, and they may be able to provide some more insight into this!! 

In the meantime, I will try and see what solutions for infertility related to HSV exist. 

22 hours ago, Flowerteacher55 said:

That is such a great question! 

Since herpes seems to be affecting the DNA of the sperm, it is possible that antivirals may not help this. However, please know I am NOT a medical professional, and I could be totally wrong!! I am going to tag @Ebelskiver who is a nurse practitioner with experience in this area, and they may be able to provide some more insight into this!! 

In the meantime, I will try and see what solutions for infertility related to HSV exist. 

So, I’m not sure exactly

how the medications work- even when reading about them…. Here’s what I did find, If someone could explain. Valacyclovir works in several different ways to prevent these viruses from replicating. Inhibits viral DNA replication by inhibiting viral DNA polymerase, incorporation, and termination of the growing viral DNA chain, and inactivation of the viral DNA polymerase.

Hello! 

Yes, reading about how drugs work is REALLY difficult to understand. However, there is a great website called PubChem, which is accessible through the National Library of Medicine Database. The two articles/info on Famvir and Valacyclovir are from PubChem. 

Acyclovir: Here is an article online via The National Library of Medicine about Acyclovir. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Acyclovir. Scroll down to subsection 8 to read about the Pharmacology of Acyclovir. 

Famvir:  Here is an article online via The National Library of Medicine about Famvir. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Famciclovir.  Scroll down to subsection 8 to read about the Pharmacology of Famvir. 

Valacyclovir: Here is an article online via The National Library of Medicine about Valacyclovir. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Valacyclovir.  Scroll down to subsection 8 to read about the Pharmacology of Valacyclovir. 

You may need help "translating" these medical explanations of the biochemistry of how the drugs work. Calling your pharmacist actually can be really helpful. Pharmacists are SO knowledgeable and helpful, yet so many people forget they can ask questions to their pharmacists!

I hope this helps! 🙂 

Blessings,

Grace 

The study only found viral DNA in the semen of men presenting with infertility. It did NOT say that this correlation was causal for the infertility. And the finding isn’t surprising considering how common herpes is. 

You smoke, something that IS scientifically proven to lower sperm counts in men and is something you can actually do something about. I very much doubt herpes infection has any meaningful impact on male fertility. It would be something that would be obvious considering how common the infection is. 

Infertility is often painful and bewildering. But it is not uncommon, and many times there is no discernible reason for it. I find increased chemicals and pollutants in our environment to be a more likely cause for infertility. You have control over the pollutants you inhale into your lungs and could reasonably see increases in sperm count after you quit. 

Good luck.