• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Covid vaccine and outbreak

Hello! 🙂 

Great question. 

I received the two doses of the Pfizer vaccine in April and May, and I did not have any outbreak issues, although I did feel very tired and sore, as expected. 

Because the vaccine can trigger a stress response in the body (you may feel sick/sore/tired/etc.) it is possible the stress from that would trigger an outbreak. 

I hope this helps! Stay well! 

Blessings,

Grace

Thanks Grace, that certainly did help. I'm just overly cautious since its 3 months now since contracting HSV and 2 months with no outbreak. Trying to ensure adequate time for my body to produce enough antibodies to keep HSV at bay as much as possible. Basically don't want to hinder the progress of my body healing and adapting to HSV. Considering antibodies and all those medical things..

Good to hear from your experience though, my first dose in 2 weeks. Hope all goes well.

Have a lovely day, 😊

Thanks.

• Like 1

Definitely ask you doctor!! I know that you shouldn't combine the vaccine with certain things, but I don't know how it impacts HSV, especially HSV-2, as I have HSV-1. For example, a nurse told me I was not allowed to get my covid vaccine until 4 weeks after my Tiburculosis test that I had gotten (I work in a classroom), so you may want to consult with a doctor or nurse first to make sure your body will be okay with it, as you contracted HSV pretty recently. 

There no harm in double checking!! Your health matters ☺️

Blessings, 

Grace

• Thanks 1

Hi! 🙂

I can vouch as a second person who absolutely didn't know they had it until I got my first COVID vaccine a just over a week ago (Pfizer), I was devastated. I came down with aches and fatigue that night after receiving it, and the actual visible outbreak/soreness a day or so after that. I spoke with my doctor regarding whether I should wait until I get my second dose (it's booked in for the first week of Sept) or if I should get a different vaccine. She said the vaccine could definitely have caused my initial outbreak, but advised me to continue with the second dose as soon as I could while my body was still producing antibodies. I'm from AUS and 29 so she said for me to stay with Pfizer jab.

I think I might go back and ask her whether it's best to take antivirals for a few days following the next jab. Please keep me updated on how you go/feel free to message me if you want to know more or chat! 😊

@Aria_ Hi!! 

I hope you are feeling better. 

I am so sorry you had an outbreak after receiving the vaccine! I hope that you've healed since the outbreak. 

However, at least you know you have HSV so you can advise future partners. 

Yes, please let us know what the doctor says about the Valtrex, and what happens after the second shot.

This data really can help others on the forum be prepared for the vaccine/potential side effects, so thank you SO much for sharing your experiences on here!! 

Sending blessings your way! 🌄🌻

-- Grace

@DeMar Yes! my doctor mentioned the possible Shingles connection, something about in rare cases the immune response to the vaccine may allow the dormant herpes zoster (shingles) virus to start replicating?

It's really important for us to remember that it could have been a coincidence so should only be taken with a grain of salt, but for me the timing was unexplained otherwise. It aligned with the vaccine, and in the time prior it hadn't been possible for me to 'newly' acquire the virus. She suggested that it may have been sitting dormant/asymptomatic, and my immune response to the vaccine may have been enough to finally give it the opportunity to start replicating, giving me my first outbreak. I have to stress that this is obviously a lot of speculation, I personally have little understanding of how the virus works at the moment, and everyone's immune system is a bit different too! 🙂

@Flowerteacher55 Hi Grace! Thanks so much for your kind response. ☺️ I'm feeling like myself again after the past week or so, although it has been a bit overwhelming. I hoped that signing up and adding my experience might help someone else, I know I was caught by surprise and wanted someone to share my experience/connect with. I'll be sure to check back in after my second one if people are interested to know more ☺️

8 hours ago, Aria_ said:

Hi! 🙂

I can vouch as a second person who absolutely didn't know they had it until I got my first COVID vaccine a just over a week ago (Pfizer), I was devastated. I came down with aches and fatigue that night after receiving it, and the actual visible outbreak/soreness a day or so after that. I spoke with my doctor regarding whether I should wait until I get my second dose (it's booked in for the first week of Sept) or if I should get a different vaccine. She said the vaccine could definitely have caused my initial outbreak, but advised me to continue with the second dose as soon as I could while my body was still producing antibodies. I'm from AUS and 29 so she said for me to stay with Pfizer jab.

I think I might go back and ask her whether it's best to take antivirals for a few days following the next jab. Please keep me updated on how you go/feel free to message me if you want to know more or chat! 😊

From down under here too 😀 Absolutely, will share my experience following first jab. Could help anyone else wondering like myself.

Take care 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All, Update since my original post. It's been 2 weeks since my first Pfizer jab and 3 months since primary HSV2 forst outbreak. The jab had not cause any OB to recur which is great. Can understand how it may cause one and wish everyone well with their jabs and HSV management. 

Peace

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes it can absolutely bring on an OB.  I had tested negative several times with IGG test.  That actually should not happen but it did.  I guess I had been infected years and years ago.  My ex wife had it and I knew it so I chose her over the possibility of contracting.  Even after we split up I had several IGG test.  All negative.  Then I had the vaccine and BAM.  First and a horrible OB.  It was back in Feb. of this year when this happened.   Now I don't really have any symptoms (such as the horrible tingling and itching) but I sometimes feel like it affects my strength.  Bottom line is YES if can bring one on! 

• Like 1

Hi All,

For anyone wanting to know. I had my 2nd Pfizer jab about 2 weeks ago and it seems a OB has just occurred, although quite mild. This could be an unrelated recurrence or indeed due to the jab. Who knows... Will manage it 🙂 

Wishing you all well.

• Like 1