• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV 1 Genital Transmission

Val00

Hello! 

I hope you are well. 

That is a great question! 

Herpes is transmitted via skin to skin contact. Herpes is not a blood Bourne illness (such as AIDS, for example) and doesn't live in our fluids like blood or urine or saliva or semen. Instead, those fluids can act as a transmission route for spreading HSV to occur. Kind of like a lazy river at a resort.... People are all floating on their inner tubes and the driver brings them places. They don't live in the water, but use it to travel. 

This being said, if someone has an active sore or is actively shedding (prodrome symptoms), then any movement of fluids over the infected area could transfer the virus to another. So, if someone has a sore near the little opening of the penis, and they ejaculate onto you hypothetically the virus could use the semen as a vehicle to get from one person to another. 

However, if someone has HSV asymptomatically, it's a little more tricky to tell when they are shedding. 

Your partner has GHSV-1, which usually does not result in frequent shedding or outbreaks. Is your partner currently experiencing an outbreak and that's why you were worried? Or are you just nervous about possible transmission in general? 

Regardless, please feel free to ask other questions or follow up questions if you need! We are here to help you ☺️

I hope this all helps! Sorry it's confusing. Biology and virology are difficult to explain sometimes, and I am not a medical professional by any means!

a nurse practitioner  @Ebelskivermay have more advice on this. Any help and insight would be appreciated!! 

Thank you! ☺️💛

Blessings, 

Grace

• Thanks 1

Well, my partner had no active sores on his mouth or genitals and hes never been tested for HSV. He did perform oral sex on me. I had nothing going on in my vulva region but I had these ingrown hair scab looking things on my mons pubis and was wondering if that couldve been herpes? I had no sores in my vulva/vaginal region but weird scabs on my mons pubis? Not sure how that couldve happened. Thats why i was wondering if he ejaculated on my razor rash, that couldve been the cause of herpes. I would think herpes wouldve showed up in my vaginal/vulvar region since he performed oral sex? 

Hi! 

Okay, thanks for clarifying everything! If he's never been tested, did a doctor just visually diagnose him? Or did your partner self-diagnose? The only way to tell the specific strain of herpes someone has is through either a swab or a blood test, and if your partner has had sores both orally and genitally, it is possible he has both types of HSV (pretty uncommon but possible). For both your health and his own health, a blood test would be a good idea ☺️

In regards to the scabs you have, it could be one of many things. Have you ever seen these scabs before, and did you shave right before being intimate? It could be razor burn, thrush, or another non-herpetic dermatological issue.

Did they start out as red bumps that then filled with a fluid, and did they pop/ooze at all before scabbing? Also, are they painful or itchy, and have you noticed any burning or tingling in that area? If you answered yes to any/all of these questions, it sounds like HSV. 

If you wanted, you could get the scabs checked out by a doctor. You are also allowed to post an image of the scabs on the forum if you feel comfortable (as long as the image is only of the scabs and surrounding skin). But, you don't need to post anything at all if you don't want to! 

Know that you will be okay!! We are here for you. 

Blessings,

Grace

• Thanks 1

He has never had a cold sore before, as to my knowledge! I just jumped to the HSV 1 conclusion. My apologies! Yes I shaved MULTIPLE times in a row, which made me believe maybe I just cut myself really bad or it was really bad razor rash or his semen got in my razor burn. I shaved on a Thursday & on a Friday, had sex after shaving on that Friday, then shaved Saturday. Took a shaving break on Sunday & Monday and then shaved again Tuesday.  I didnt even notice anything until these sores like opened. I noticed no blisters, just red razor like bumps. And then after the razor bumps, I saw these scabs. Nothing hurt or anything so Im just awestruck at what the heck this is. Nothing was burning or tingling. These were just itching as they were healing. Maybe these were blisters and I shaved over them? I have no idea. I just noticed the razor bumps then these moist scabs all of a sudden. I dropped a picture in here from when I initially noticed them!57DDC6C9-91CA-4DD0-B0F0-CD6843307E52.thumb.jpeg.15a1bbd285cca017bed9531e586ae107.jpeg

Hello! 

Sorry for the late reply. 

Those look like healed herpes sores, especially since you mentioned they appeared and were 'moist'.

However they could be ingrown hairs that you shaved over and accidentally ripped open/irritated. 

Is there or was there ever a little black line or dot in the middle of them? 

Have your scabs healed or have fallen off since you last posted?

There is a post on here that is very similar to what you are describing; I am going to search for it and read it and get back to you! 

I hope you are feeling better!

Blessings,

Grace

i've had ingrown hairs before and I didnt notice any black dot or hair follicle in these scabs, which had me petrified. Yes everything is healed but if it pops up again, then i'll know if I have herpes. I think maybe his saliva got on my razor burn. I am just confused why I had no sores in my vulva region. Thanks so much for keeping in touch! I ALWAYS thought the person had to have a sore to contract herpes, I NEVER knew they didnt have to be showing any symptoms for you to contract the virus, that is so scary! I always thought I was being precautious and safe when looking for sores on lips or genitals. Hope there is a vaccine one day!

• Like 1

Hi!! 

Aw, I totally understand. Yes, hopefully a vaccine will exist one day! 🙂 

He could have been virally shedding, and perhaps that's how you got it.

For the future, if this is HSV, watch for any prodrome symptoms and see if the scabby sores appear in the same area. 

Stay well, and if you ever have questions or anything, feel free to ask them on the forum. Or, if your partner has any questions, he/you can ask them here, too! 

Blessings,

Grace

Yeah I had no prodrome symptoms and didnt have any flu like symptoms since this was my first time seeing these, surprised at that one cuz my body reacts to EVERYTHING. my mom actually has it and got it from my father and she knew she was doomed the following morning when she saw a herpe appearing on his lip. and she said she was actually sick with a fever. So shes shocked I didnt have a fever or anything. Thanks so much for all the uplifting help!

• Like 1

Hi,

It is important to know what type of HSV you have, type one or two. Knowing will give you an idea of what to expect in terms of recurrences and transmission. You shouldn't assume that you got it and that it is type 1. Get a blood test done, at least 3 months after the exposure. Maybe it is not herpes and you are right, it's a razor burn.

Regards,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1