• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can someone help me with my blood results

Hi Guys. Please can someone help me with my blood test results -
I first had symptoms end of July and was diagnosed by sight with herpes. No swab was taken . I since had 1 further OB last month and took a swab which was “rejected by the lab” My partner has oral HSV1 and negative for HSV2 , so I presumed this was the type I have but genitally. I have since done blood tests at different points waiting for the 12 week mark. I am now 14 weeks on and still testing neg for both. However there are some fluctuations in the readings. Can anyone help me understand what might be going on. My results are below -

SEPT
HSV1- 0.188
HSV2- <0.500

AUG
HSV1- 0.265
HSV2- <0.500

NOV
HSV1- 0.246
HSV2- 0.589

What do you think my next step should be here? What could cause a delay in antibodies? What can cause fluctuations in the readings ? What would you take from the above readings ? Does the jump in HSV2 look like it’s more likely to be that?

I’m so confused!!

Thanks, Lisa

80F22F6C-03DA-4A9E-814C-45BE1F01E1F1.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello Lisa!

I hope you are well.

I am so sorry about the confusing results. It can be really frustrating to not have a definite answer, and it's also frustrating when you are only diagnosed via a visual exam, and then when you give a sample the lab doesn't accept it (what happened with that? That sounds really annoying!)

I wanted to clarify, are these IgG results?

Your results are showing fluctuations, however they are in the negative range, but they do show a slight gradual increase from month to month.

Remember, the baseline is 12 weeks, but for some people it can take even longer to build up a detectable amount of antibodies. For right now, keep a log of symptoms. Perhaps wait another one to two months and test again. 

I did some research and discovered the biological actions that the body takes to build immunity and antibodies. 

According to a 2020 article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7350219/) from the US National Library of Medicine/National Institutes of Health Database online, "B-lymphocyte and the T-lymphocyte are the principal players of the adaptive immunity. The B-cells produce antibodies and mediates the humoral immune response while the T-cells oversee the cellular immune response." So, the key part in this is that B-cells produce antibodies

I am not a doctor, immunologist, or virologist, but maybe B-cells have something to do with the slow buildup of the antibodies? I honestly am not sure if this is helpful info to have, but it's some biology facts to think about! 

I hope this helps! 

Stay well and be kind to yourself 🙂

P.S.: Also, on another note, this article has really interesting information regarding the vaccine trials and research out there for HSV! So, feel free to check it out!