• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Shingles Vaccine and Herpes Outbreaks

Hey all, I'm curious if anyone has experienced or heard if getting the Shingles Vaccine could cause an outbreak. 

Obviously Shingles and HSV-1 and 2 are close cousins, so it's possible, but I thought I would reach out and see.

I also heard that having the Shingles vaccine could reduce outbreaks, but they are unsure if that's a coincidence. 

• Like 1

Hello!

Great question! 

The shingles vaccine is scary to many of us since shingles is in the herpesvirus family. While the two are in the same family, they are NOT the same virus. So, sould the vaccine trigger an outbreak? Hypothetically, of course. Will it DEFINETELY trigger an outbreak? Not necessarily. 

The common side effects of the vaccine are aches and general unwell feelings, which could trigger an outbreak since there is stress on the body. Also, people who are pregnant or breastfeeding, have an active case of shingles, people who are allergic to the vaccines/ingredients, and those who take medicine that lowers their immune system should NOT get the vaccine/wait until they are approved by a doctor. There are other cases in which someone should not get the vaccine, too. Talking to your doctor is the best way to see if you should get the vaccine. Also, here is information on the vaccines and side effects: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/shingles-herpes-vaccine.html#anchor_1593531339081

I hope this helps!! 

Blessings! 🕊️☀️

• 1 month later...