• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

timeline

I was hoping someone might have some insight to my situation. I have had Herpes on my nose for several years. I have been with someone I dearly care for that does not have either HSV 1 or 2. On December 17 I came into the house and she was drying off from a shower. I had been fighting a cold and wiped my nose when she called me into the bathroom. I not thinking saw her and tried to play around and touched her vagina. Later that night I look at my nose and saw a blister starting to form. I felt terrible and went and told her. Two days later her had a headache for a day then the next day (3) she had diarrhea. Then nothing until day 6 when she started to have excessive discharge that was white with brown in it. She got scarred and took 400 mg of my acyclovir that night, the next morning and then 400mg only the next two days. I think she stopped the initial outbreak. She went to the gyno and was tested for BV, yeast, trich and other which came back negative. I have read on Terri Warrens site that she doesn't feel hands are a mode of transmission however I feel with her having a headache and diarrhea then discharge I did transmit it to her. We have been very scared. Anyone with thoughts when the next outbreak will come ect.

• Like 1

Hello!

First, just breathe. It will be alright! 

Remember this essential idea 💡: Correlation does not equal causation.

It is hypothetically possible you transmitted H to her, but you may not have. You could have been shedding the virus on your nose when you touched it, or you may not have. And, even if you were shedding, it is possible you did not touch the area where the virus was shedding, so it didn't get on your hand. 

It is possible she had these symptoms because of something else, such as hormones. For me personally, I have bathroom issues and odd discharge around my period. The brown spot on the discharge could actually be blood. Brown discharge can be brown from 'old' dried blood that didn't come out from the previous period. Headaches are also common to have from hormones as well. 

She could have also been coming down with a cold or flu. Did she have a fever or any other symptoms? Also, did she notice any skin symptoms, such as burning or itching? 

If she would like, she can get an IgM test ASAP or wait 12+ weeks for an IgG test to see if she has antibodies. 

I hope this helps! 

Blessings! 

I had a runny nose so my hand was a little wet, yes I would have likly been shedding since a few hours later I got a blister.  She didn't get her period intil January 12 almost 3 weeks past the incident and she also was late because she usually has hers on the 2nd. She had no other symptoms besides the headache and diarrhia then discharge before she took the acyclovir.

I do really appriciate your thoughts and encouragement.

Hello,

Thanks for the additional information.

It is possible that you passed it to her, however we cannot be sure unless she either experiences an outbreak or if she gets an IgM or IgG bloodtest. I hope she has been feeling better!

Also, please know that this wasn't your fault. Don't beat yourself up over it. It will all be okay!

Sending happy thoughts!

I appricite your encouragement vut it is definately my fault I touched her after touching my nose. Do you think the amount of acyclovir she took would have been enough to stop a primary outbreak completely. I now she still could be infected I am just hoping I guess that wouldn't have been enough and she would have continued to show symptoms which might mean she didn't contract it.

It wasn't your intent, and you didn't know you were about to have an outbreak. It's not your fault. Forgive yourself and be kind to yourself. 

It is possible that the Acyclovir stopped the outbreak before it occurred, however she only took it twice, right? I would think, especially for a primary outbreak, that it would take more than just 2 400 mg pills to make it completely cease, however I guess it is hypothetically possible! 

I'd say watch for symptoms in the meantime, and stay hopeful. It will be ok! 

Hello,

Sorry for the misunderstanding! 

It could be that she managed to stop the shedding of the virus before it caused any blisters.

Also, I did some research on the links between HSV and diarrhea, and apparently because HSV targets the big main nerve ganglia at the base of the spine, it can impact the connected nerves, such as the nerves of the rectum, and cause diarrhea. 

Again, this could all be a coincidence. I am hoping for the best! 

Man am I confused I had someone esle on another forum say that hand do not transmit herpes however I am having a hard time with the timeline. Whats the odds of having only a headache and diarrhia on day 2 and 3 after exposure with the incubation period being 2 to 10 days it must be a million to 1, no sore throad or anything else then day six unusual discharge which was followed by 1600 mg of acyclovir for 3.5 days that could have stopped a primary outbreak. Other people have said a discharge is not associated with herpes then others have said it is with new infection. I wish I could figure out if 800 mg one day then 400 mg the next 2 days would be enough to stop a primary. One person says yes the other says no way. We are on limited funds after my sergery or I would ask on one of the paid sites. If I am not being to personal may I ask if you have excessive discharge before an outbreak or may before your primary. Of corse I haven't being a male.

• Like 1

Hi! 

Living in the Internet Age comes with the stress of having excessive amounts of information everywhere! However, make sure that these folks are quoting quality, medically-backed, scientifically-proven studies and/or are nurses or doctors in the medical community. Also, when you find a piece of information, cross-reference it with scholarly sources (PubMed, WHO, NIH, etc) to ensure the information is indeed true. You do NOT need to pay for any information, I promise you that! Sadly there are SO many sites out there that prey on people who are stressed and struggling for answers, but trust me they are most likely a scam. 

Discharge is a possible side-effect of herpes for those with vaginas. One of the reasons why is because some people have internal outbreaks inside the vaginal cavity, which impacts the secretions. Others experience discharge due to other impacts herpes has on the vagina (it's very sensitive to change!). 

I know it is so overwhelming right now, but try not to get stuck down the internet google rabbit hole of medical questions and answers. If you need to speak with someone, I recommend you call a Planned Parenthood or local STI clinic and ask if your wife can either be seen or if you can ask questions to the on-call physician. Also, your wife can call her OBGYN and ask to speak to the on-call nurse or doctor for inquiry. 

I hope this helps! 🙂 

Stay strong and stay calm! It will all work out. We are here for you and your partner! Also, I hope your surgery went okay and you are healing well!  

Yes! I am unfamiliar with Dr. Hook but Terri Warren in very accredited in the H medical community! 

Herpes and the hands is interesting. There is something called herpetic whitlow (herpes on the hand/finger), which is where the HAND is infected, which could possibly pass to another.

If A DIFFERENT area (oral, genital, etc) is infected and you touch it and then touch someone else, transmission liklihood is low!

I hope this helps! 🙂 

Dr. Hansfield also agreed the hands are unlikely to transmit, that is what I am praying for anyway. I just think the odds of what happened afterwards is very unlikely to be something else. Do you know if she did stop the primary how long it would take for it to return? Its been 28 days since she stopped the acyclovir. being hsv 1 genital I think it would just be a guess. Have you ever heard or experience anyone that contracted herpes from touching or mutual masterbation, ect? Sorry for all the questions I do appricated it.

She had headache, diarrhia, and discharge nothing else. If she would have come down with a cold or the flu or something then I could say oh that was it but I can find anything else with just those symptoms besides herpes and believe me I have been trying. I am sorry for so many questions and I really do appriciate your help.

Hello,

No need to apologize at all. This is a space where questions are welcomed! 

I am so sorry you are under such stress. Its unlikely she got it from hand transmission, but of course it's hypothetically possible. If she's still experiencing these symptoms weeks after the symptoms initially started, that's a sign that she should perhaps see a doctor again and even get a PAP smear to see what's going on internally. 

The discharge that she had on day 6 after exposure lasted the 6 and 7th day then she hasn't had any symptoms since then but again she took acyclovir the evening of the 6th day 400mg, 7th day morning 400mg, 8th day 400mg morning, 9th day 400mg morning then stopped. She had her cycle 16 days after she stopped the acyclovir that was late by 10 days. She didn't have any symptoms during that time either. From my readings it would seem at ghsv1 can lay dormite longer and is easier to suppress with antivirals. I keep reading that there hasn't been a documented case of hand transmitting herpes but then I read testomony by people that say it happened. One of them was on Terri's site that seemed very likely but was not confirmed or documented. It was mutual masterbation where the uninfected person became infected with hsv2. I feel my surgery is what triggered my outbreak. I really wish I hadn't been so careless.

• Like 1

You were not careless. You didn't intend for this to happen and it is NOT your fault! 

Okay, so the discharge only lasted two days, and the antivirals probably helped with that and easing other symptoms. For your own peace of mind, hang in there and perhaps wait until she could get a blood test to confirm. Stay strong and hopeful! 

Flower teacher we are still waiting until 8 weeks so she can be tested. I appriciate your imput and support. I know your have been a supporter on this forum for quit a while. Have you ever seen someone transmit hsv by hands or fingers in all your work on this forum? And all your work on this forum is appriciated. 

• Like 1

Hi! 

Ugh, weeks can feel like they take forever! Time will pass! It will get here soon!

I have not heard of anyone passing it from their hands or fingers on the forum. I have heard so many friends express worries and fears about transmitting it via their hands to their partner or children, so it seems we all tend to share that common worry! Luckily, we usually have nothing to worry about. Hand washing and the fact that transmission rates of passing via indirect touch are low helps us stay calm. 

Although I have not talked to someone who has personally experienced this on the forum, I do understand how it can occur biologically, and the medical consensus that it is very unlikely. 

I hope this helps! 

Stay strong!!