• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Chance of false negative?

So I was recently diagnosed (12/2021) with GHSV2. The partner I was with at the time, who had no symptoms, got tested, as he assumed he gave it to me. 
He told his Dr. about the situation and the Dr. suggested the antigen blood test, which came back negative.

I hadn’t been with anyone else in a while…. Is it possible for the test to have been falsely negative??  Wondering if I should go back to past partners to let them know and try to see where I got it?? 
I had been sexually active with him for about a month when my first OB occurred…

• Like 1

Hello! 

I hope you are well. 

I am so sorry that you are stuck with this detective work. It can be very frustrating! However, it will be okay!

When you were tested, was it a swab test?

Or, if it was a blood test? If it was a blood test and it was an IgM blood test that was positive, that indicates a recent infection. If it was an IgG that came back positive, that indicates an infection of 12+ weeks old. 

It is possible that your partner's test came back as a false negative. You could reach out to past partners, however it might not be the most happy experience (it can be awkward and the past partners may be hostile or offended you asked them, which is just ridiculous!). So, if you do reach out, you could just say, "hey have you ever tested positive for herpes? I think I may be experiencing some symptoms and my doctor suggested I reach out to a past partner."

I hope this helps! 🙂 

Hi,

yes my diagnosis was confirmed with a swab test, during my first OB. Now that I know a bit more ( all I do is research these days…) I’m wondering if he had the igm or igg test….do doctors look for both results in one test? This is still confusing to me…

Thank you so much for your response.