• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Both of us have herpes. Will oral sex pass herpes to other parts of our bodies?

Hello, 

Me and my partner both have HSV2 and both have had it for over a year. I’m on daily meds while he is asymptomatic. My question is, is it safe for both of us to give each other oral with no barrier and without us passing the virus to other parts of our body?

• Like 1

Hello!

Great question! 

You both should be safe preforming oral sex on one another since you both have antibodies. If you happen to have an outbreak or are experiencing prodrome symptoms, I would not let him preform oral sex on you. Since he is asymptomatic it is difficult to know when he is or is not virally shedding. The risk of you getting oral HSV-2 is low because you have genital HSV-2 and have had it for a year, which is more than enough time to build up antibodies. 

If you or your partner has an autoimmune illness or is on a medication that lowers the immune system, the risk for contracting it on other parts of the body increases. Oral herpes of either strain can cause esophagitis in those with uncompromising illnesses or situations.

However, if this applies to neither of you, then you should be good! 🙂 Also, oral HSV-2 is pretty rare in general. 

Protection is always a good idea in general, but if this is a long term partner you can evaluate if you would like to use protection or not.  Plus, do what you are comfortable with! Both your opinions matter, and both people have to be ready for the next steps of intimacy! 🙂 

I hope this helps! 

Blessings to you both ❤️ 🙂 

grace

• mr_hopp changed the title to Both of us have herpes. Will oral sex pass herpes to other parts of our bodies?