• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Antivirals Not Working

Is it possible to become immune to antivirals? I was on acyclovir for a long time and always had symptoms and outbreaks. I just switched to Valtrax and am still having symptoms. I currently have an outbreak for almost a month now. I can’t get rid of it! I’ve had HSV for over 20 years. Symptoms and outbreaks  the past few years have been frequent and uncontrollable. All the gyn does is prescribe new meds. Nothing seems to be working. Anyone else have a similar path?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is possible for herpes to become resistant to antiviral medication.  I know that there are other things that could help as well that are listed within this forum.  Lysine cream and certain vitamins have been talked about on this website.  I know that my doctor prescribed me lidocaine cream with hydrocortisone.  I hope you are feeling better at this point since I know you posted awhile ago and no one has answered.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

@Grace78how old are you if I may ask? If you are close to menopause, constant outbreaks could be due to hormonal changes.

Or it could be that you have hsv strain that is resistant to standard antivirals. I think you can have test to see do you have acyclovir resistan strain if I remember correctly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest ozone treatments. It’s helped me some, but I am finding I have to continue it as I took a break over summer and everything started back up again. Now after several treatments it’s starting to calm again. I go weekly..hoping one day it helps it just go away ❤️