• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Antivirals Not Working

Is it possible to become immune to antivirals? I was on acyclovir for a long time and always had symptoms and outbreaks. I just switched to Valtrax and am still having symptoms. I currently have an outbreak for almost a month now. I can’t get rid of it! I’ve had HSV for over 20 years. Symptoms and outbreaks  the past few years have been frequent and uncontrollable. All the gyn does is prescribe new meds. Nothing seems to be working. Anyone else have a similar path?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is possible for herpes to become resistant to antiviral medication.  I know that there are other things that could help as well that are listed within this forum.  Lysine cream and certain vitamins have been talked about on this website.  I know that my doctor prescribed me lidocaine cream with hydrocortisone.  I hope you are feeling better at this point since I know you posted awhile ago and no one has answered.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

@Grace78how old are you if I may ask? If you are close to menopause, constant outbreaks could be due to hormonal changes.

Or it could be that you have hsv strain that is resistant to standard antivirals. I think you can have test to see do you have acyclovir resistan strain if I remember correctly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/15/2022 at 1:24 PM, Tiredmommaj said:

I would suggest ozone treatments. It’s helped me some, but I am finding I have to continue it as I took a break over summer and everything started back up again. Now after several treatments it’s starting to calm again. I go weekly..hoping one day it helps it just go away ❤️

I will do some research on this. Thank you. Nothing helps. I’ve pumped up the vitamins and still constant outbreaks. This is not sustainable. I’m losing my mind, confidence, everything. I’m 45 and was tested by my doctor in October and am not in pre menopause. Sadly I think a vaccine is the only hope now and who the hell knows when that will actually happen. 

There is a Trial for Pretlivir for people with Antiviral resistant HSV. You might be able to sign up for that. The good news is that you are young enough to have hope that you will see an effective vaccinebor therapeutic come out in the next 5 to 7 years. Maybe earlier for Pretlivir. Hang in and try some natural options to boost your immune system. 

23 hours ago, Seeker1960 said:

There is a Trial for Pretlivir for people with Antiviral resistant HSV. You might be able to sign up for that. The good news is that you are young enough to have hope that you will see an effective vaccinebor therapeutic come out in the next 5 to 7 years. Maybe earlier for Pretlivir. Hang in and try some natural options to boost your immune system. 

Thank you. I will google Pretlivir trials unless you have a direct link to it? 

• 1 month later...

I took Acyclovir years ago... I've had HSV for years now.. many...  But learned that it's best to just not take any antivirals at all (for me anyways)  It seems as though your immune system will beat this on it's own..  You'll get the symptoms with/without those pills so why bother? I'd rather know my immune system is doing it's job when the symptoms vanish...  My secret? Just eat a balanced diet, take your multi vitamin daily and exercise...  Simple..

And yes, I experience outbreaks from time to time now just as I did back when I did those pills... 

• 2 weeks later...

I wish it was that simple for me. I thought the exact same thing. I’m healthy my immune system will take care. But it just kept spreading and the constant BOs on my face and tingling…then it became I would finish one BO and get one in another place. So I never wanted to be touched by my husband to avoid transmission. Now between antivirals and weekly ozone I feel I’m barely warding it off. I’m not sure where to go from here. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have HSV2 only. I have classic ob/blisters if I am not on antivirals on my chin. At first they helped with the obs on my labia but now I get obs there regardless and regularly. 
the tingling and itch I get on my face in various spots but always the same spot. Same with my back. Always same spots and the spots appear the same. 
I haven’t had spots appear on my legs or arms but they get very itchy in the same spots like the side of my hip are the worst. 
i did get an update that I’ll add to the original post about neglase levels. 

@Grace78i just wanted to say I finally got my neglase test back and it was elevated as expected. 

This was the email from my Naturopath

Thank you for your patience. We have the GC-MAF now in clinic and are able to organize pick up for home subcutaneous injections. Please call reception to schedule a quick 10 minutes appointment in the lab for supply pick up and injection explanation. Our dispensary will be able to provide exact cost, but the 1 vial will be around $450.  

The dose as per your Nagalase results will start at 0.25ml subcutaneous once weekly for 10 weeks. One vial will provide the full 10 weeks duration, at which point we can assess progress. The vial will need to be kept refrigerated.  Side effects are generally mild, if they do occur, and may present as an immune response such as fatigue, mild malaise & headache. These usually dissipate quickly after beginning treatment.

there is lots of info but here is one link

https://www.gcmafplus.com/about/what-is-gcmaf